Gasvap Modifications

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be missing something....I have an early gasvap (Mark 1 no screw) and find it vapes really well, apart from some slight clogging occasionally due to condensation, which I prevent with preheating and/or remove with a drill bit or the scoop handle.
Mine doesn't need any modification. I did buy a few more cups though, so I can line them up ready and do 4 hives at a time.

The mod is just to make the Gasvap easier to handle as it gets very hot, another advantage is possible use with poly hives thus protecting from excessive heat. It not operational in how well the subliminate does or doesn't work.

I use a syringe. ROM 1ml = 1g therefore, Set plunger to 2.5ml stick in the acid then press plunger into pan ....... simples

I use the small vials so it saves me carrying my tub with apibioxal around with me and then dosing on site esp if wet or windy.

I use a syringe. ROM 1ml = 1g therefore, Set plunger to 2.5ml stick in the acid then press plunger into pan ....... simples

Do you mean you aspirate OA powder into the syringe? I've never thought of that. Clever. What is ROM?

Do you mean you aspirate OA powder into the syringe? I've never thought of that. Clever. What is ROM?

Nope. Rough Order of Magnitude

Mmmm thinking about it again Philip, it might gum up the pan.
Funnily enough, exactly what apibioxal does. You have to love those licensed rubbish!! I used my gasvap last week, it was taking ages for the OA to sublimate even after heating the gasvap for a good minute. When I got back home I had a good look at it and the bottom had about 5mm of black residue which probably impacted on the heat transfer.

Solution?

All i do is cut the pointy end of the syringe off, then set the plunger to amount of AB crystals eg 2ml/2g and push the open end into the AB thereby charging syringe with the correct amount of crystals. then push plunger down to release crystals into the waiting pan. quick, simple and accurate enough

Last edited:
Funnily enough, exactly what apibioxal does. You have to love those licensed rubbish!! I used my gasvap last week, it was taking ages for the OA to sublimate even after heating the gasvap for a good minute. When I got back home I had a good look at it and the bottom had about 5mm of black residue which probably impacted on the heat transfer.
Hi Jeff,
My comment was very tongue in cheek as we have had the conversation on many other threads but I have found the best way of getting rid of that residue is a small rotary wire brush and a battery drill. I keep it in my van and after every batch of vapes I clean the pan. Keep your mask on while cleaning tho as the dust is no fun to breathe in.

All i do is cut the pointy end of the syringe off, then set the plunger to amount of OA crystals eg 2ml/2g and push the open end into the OA thereby charging syringe with the correct amount of crystals. then push plunger down to release crystals into the waiting pan. quick, simple and accurate enough
I can see that working with OA as it has no anti caking agent in it but Shirley, Apibioxal, the legal alternative which we all use,😉 would fall out?

Good spot Neil, as always peeps, when [certainly I] say OA I am of course referring to AB. Always good to clarify.

All i do is cut the pointy end of the syringe off, then set the plunger to amount of AB crystals eg 2ml/2g and push the open end into the AB thereby charging syringe with the correct amount of crystals. then push plunger down to release crystals into the waiting pan. quick, simple and accurate enough
Thanks, Ian
I shall try that

Not a Gasvap mod but a way of delivering the sublimate into the top of the hive. All my hives have clear polycarbonate crownboards with a 50mm hole for a feeder so I got on the lathe and turned this thingumibob that sits on the hole . It works, it distributes sublimate into the hive and stops any excess sublimate going anywhere else. I need to make another one as it is a bit loose in the 50mm hole - measuring is not one of my strong points ...Gasvap funnel 1.jpgGasvap funnel 2.jpgGasvap funnel 3.jpgGasvap funnel 4.jpg

Not a Gasvap mod but a way of delivering the sublimate into the top of the hive. All my hives have clear polycarbonate crownboards with a 50mm hole for a feeder so I got on the lathe and turned this thingumibob that sits on the hole . It works, it distributes sublimate into the hive and stops any excess sublimate going anywhere else. I need to make another one as it is a bit loose in the 50mm hole - measuring is not one of my strong points ...View attachment 23992View attachment 23993View attachment 23994View attachment 23995

Via a hole in the eke-side of the crown board;

Attachments

• E5FC417D-753D-4C61-95EB-0A72FF0095B9.jpeg
    E5FC417D-753D-4C61-95EB-0A72FF0095B9.jpeg
    795.2 KB · Views: 35
My thingamibob is made out of offcuts of poly carb with a hole to pop the Gasvap in, four rings of 5mm poly carb with a flat lid on top.

My thingamibob is made out of offcuts of poly carb with a hole to pop the Gasvap in, four rings of 5mm poly carb with a flat lid on top.
More thingamibobs than you could shake a stick at! 😁

Latest posts

Back