Gasvap Modifications

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course forget the tabletting and use loose material in a scoop - would
save buggering about.
I think those comments were a bit tongue in cheek ... I think tablet form in blister packs would be a lot less hassle than buggering about with powder and scoops ... just open the cap, pop the blister pack and drop the tablet in ... couldn't be simpler if it can be achieved without substances that gum up the works?

pedantic ? Oh dear . Not pedantic .at all .
no part of it is soldered it is all brazed .
brazing is fusing the metal together at the melting point of same !
soldering s joining the parts together with solder which has a much lower melting point than the operating temperature of Gas Vap .
others read these threads ! Please don’t regard my comments as a personal attack .
Brazing is a metal-joining process in which two or more metal items are joined together by melting and flowing a filler metal into the joint, with the filler metal having a lower melting point than the adjoining metal.

You are describing welding

Of course forget the tabletting and use loose material in a scoop - would
save buggering about.
These
pots.jpg
Cost very little off fleabay, fill/weigh them in the comfort of your own home, they hold a 2.3g dose easily, they fit neatly into the varrox pan so just take one out of your pocket, lid off, invert the pan over the pot, flip over and the dose is in, ready to vape. I just make up a load when I have spare time and keep the in a box ready to go.

Meanwhile as per Pargyle's mod I removed the heat shield from my mk1 Gasvap today and used a self tapper to re-secure it. One of the solders was easy to break with a sharp tap with old chisel edge, the other solder wasn't as accommodating so I got my dremmel tool out with a mini disc to cut through it.

I put the piece of silicone mat on the inside of the heat shield so will see tomorrow how it goes with heat test. Turned wooden caps fitted spot on and they are now waxed as well.

Meanwhile as per Pargyle's mod I removed the heat shield from my mk1 Gasvap today and used a self tapper to re-secure it. One of the solders was easy to break with a sharp tap with old chisel edge, the other solder wasn't as accommodating so I got my dremmel tool out with a mini disc to cut through it.

I put the piece of silicone mat on the inside of the heat shield so will see tomorrow how it goes with heat test. Turned wooden caps fitted spot on and they are now waxed as well.
I hope that works ... I put the silicon mat on the outside of the heatshield ... and the fibre washers between the heatshield and the body of the Gasvap ...

Today I made some more modifications. I removed the flame guard (it's held on with a single screw on mine) and covered the outside with a layer of 1mm silicon sheet (the sort you use in the kitchen for baking on). I added a couple of fibre washers between the body of the gasvap and the heat shield to insulate it and just separate the heat shield from the body of the gasvap a little.

Works a treat - I thought it might need a couple of layers of silicon sheet but one is sufficient to be able to pick the gasvap up even with the torch going and it up to full heat. I just cut the silicon sheet to size and stuck it to the heat shield with some silicon sealant.

The hardwood casing to the cap works well .. so, the two bits that were in danger of burning my fingers are resolved. I had the Cadrim torch going for the better part of half an hour again and it never missed a beat -lights first time every time and I've now got it set at a setting where it will heat the pan to the right temperature for the OA to sublimate and also start on the igniter. Just have to switch it on and press the igniter ... Brilliant.
I have been thinking on the same lines ! the silicon sheet on the outside should prevent finger burn also help the heat shield do the job intended. ( dissipate the heat by conduction )

Tbh I stuck the silicone sheet on the inside plus the fibre washers between it and the chamber and screwed the shield on, then realised doh. Decided to leave it and see what the test is like tomorrow.

Tbh I stuck the silicone sheet on the inside plus the fibre washers between it and the chamber and screwed the shield on, then realised doh. Decided to leave it and see what the test is like tomorrow.
No big deal ... another piece of silicon sheet in the post tomorrow - don't want to get your fingers burnt ! Let us know how it works.... might be an improvement all round.

I'm about to go and do the test, no chance of burnt fingers Philip as I shall be you my lase infrared gun to check the temp.

I'm about to go and do the test, no chance of burnt fingers Philip as I shall be you my lase infrared gun to check the temp.
I tested my kit this morning. The heat shield was certainly cooler but I didn’t fancy picking the GasVap up by it!
What did happen tho was the washer broke down very quickly. I replaced it with another. Maybe it was the way I installed it?

Not scientific but with silicone mat on the inner face temp was too hot to handle realistically, one would have got burnt.
Undid the screw and removed the shield bashed it flat with rubber hammer and inverted it/bent it into shape again so the silicone mat was on the exterior and re tightened it again. I used three fibre washers as the spacing.

I simulated a vape using some OA used for cleansing (not going to waste the apbioxal) at sublimation temp I let the vape expire (reduced flame once vapes appeared), at end of process the wooden cap was quite hot to the touch but not scorchio & the shield was quite warm still to much for me to really hold straight away. Certainly the mods do make the exterior/shield cooler a lot, though as Neil has mentioned not very comfortable to pick up straight away. A glove may or will be needed to handle initially but not the thick heavy garden glove I have been using.

The mod certainly works in reducing heat to 25 - 28C or so is better then touching over 100C, a lot may depend on how the body reacts to heat sensing. Some will have a higher pain threshold to heat then others so able to handle warmer objects then others.

I know this because when swimbo runs a bath there is no way I can sit in the same temp water.

Philp kindly has posted another piece of matting so I think I will double up to see if that is better, though I was about to buy a sheet on ebay when I saw his message that he had posted another piece.

All in all though pargyles mod is an improvement so anyone will certainly not be able to scald/burn them selves so readily.

Not scientific but with silicone mat on the inner face temp was too hot to handle realistically, one would have got burnt.
Undid the screw and removed the shield bashed it flat with rubber hammer and inverted it/bent it into shape again so the silicone mat was on the exterior and re tightened it again. I used three fibre washers as the spacing.

I simulated a vape using some OA used for cleansing (not going to waste the apbioxal) at sublimation temp I let the vape expire (reduced flame once vapes appeared), at end of process the wooden cap was quite hot to the touch but not scorchio & the shield was quite warm still to much for me to really hold straight away. Certainly the mods do make the exterior/shield cooler a lot, though as Neil has mentioned not very comfortable to pick up straight away. A glove may or will be needed to handle initially but not the thick heavy garden glove I have been using.

The mod certainly works in reducing heat to 25 - 28C or so is better then touching over 100C, a lot may depend on how the body reacts to heat sensing. Some will have a higher pain threshold to heat then others so able to handle warmer objects then others.

I know this because when swimbo runs a bath there is no way I can sit in the same temp water.

I agree with your comments, A good adaption. It certainly doesn't make it cool but certainly makes it safer with the reduction in temperature.

Philip may simply be able to stand the heat handling a bit better then you or I Neil. I know my hands are quite sensitive to heat and certainly bee stings, though I don't react to stings with swelling or other incidents, though at times the sting feels very sharp and intense.

I must be missing something....I have an early gasvap (Mark 1 no screw) and find it vapes really well, apart from some slight clogging occasionally due to condensation, which I prevent with preheating and/or remove with a drill bit or the scoop handle.
Mine doesn't need any modification. I did buy a few more cups though, so I can line them up ready and do 4 hives at a time.

Latest posts

Back