Gasvap Modifications

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargyle

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
There are two drawbacks to the Gasvap ..

1. The Torch .. I've tried a few, the cheap ones are really not up to it, they go out and the regulator for the flame is not sufficiently precise to adjust the flame. The bigger torches that have good flame adjustment are a bit too powerful.

2. It gets too hot.

I've solved the first problem with a reasonably priced butane torch from Amazon £19.99. It has a twin flame and you can set it to just a single flame, it lights well even when turned down quite low plus.. when it is fitted to the Gasvap it is just the right length to allow the whole thing to sit stable on a flat surface (a piece of formica faced plywood).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cadrim-Kit...&qid=1609363893&sprefix=cadrim,aps,189&sr=8-5

The second problem I'm part way to solving. I've turned a hardwood cap to fit over the OA dispenser (The original one gets very hot). With the new cap on it doesn't get that hot and can be removed without gloves. The hole to take the dispenser is 24mm which leaves a bit of a gap and either some epoxy glue or silicon sealant which leaves a bit of room for the copper inner to expand.

The other thing I'm going to do is put a 25mm heatproof fibre washer between the heatshield and the actual device (the heatshield is held in place by a screw and there is enough thread on it to permit a fibre washer to be inserted between the two surfaces). This won't stop all the heat transfer to the heat shield but my initial experiment with a bit of heatproof material has shown a marked reduction in the temperature of the heat shield.

The next thing is that I'm going to cover the outside of the heatshield with some silicon sheet ... I tried holding it with a bit of silicon baking sheet and that seemed to be sufficiently insulating to be able to hold it by the heatshield - but the baking sheet had to go back into the kitchen drawer before it was missed !

Gasvap1.jpgGasvap2.jpgGasvap2.jpgGasvap3.jpg

Nicely done Philip, your Gasvap looks decidedly newer than mine! 😂

Nicely done Philip, your Gasvap looks decidedly newer than mine! 😂
It's not had a lot of use apart from testing and a couple of trials ... I'm a non-treater ! Not to say that I'm not interested in all aspects of beekeeping - including varroa treatments. Despite my initial reservations about the device and the required precautions when using it I found that it actually does a reasonable job ... although the thing does get very hot even with a relatively low flame. I think John said that he was working on some sort of heat proof cap to the OA dispenser ... I may have beaten him to it. The improvements he has already made are helpful - the thumbscrew to grip the barrel of the torch is a good one.

Not sure about the crimped OA dispensers though, they seem to sit a bit looser than my brazed ones.

I use my Mk1 Gas-vap with a propane canister blowtorch. As pargyle says, this is rather too powerful. It also has a 20mm dia nozzle so I had to cut a small piece of 22mm copper piping to make an adapter. The Gas-vap definitely needs a thumbscrew to keep it on the torch! I might try one of those little Amazon torches. It will need to be stored indoors otherwise the butane will stay liquid and you won't get enough flame.

I use a pair of thick suede leather gardening gloves - they are heat-proof enough to do the job.

Altogether I'm impressed with the Gas-vap and it's great to see improvements are coming along.

The Cadrim is the one I use, I have tested it and used one of those IR temp guns to regulate the temp for control. Keep the surface temp of the vape bodies pan to 155 - 165c and the OA remains as OA vape.
With the Cadrim I use single long flame to get up to temp and then dial down the flame to half flame.
Above 188c OA becomes Formic.

Cadrim torch uses very little in the way of plastic parts and is in the whole all metal, it is tiny palm size of about 100mm. The nozzle is a perfect fit for my MK1 Gasvap.

Last edited:
The biggest issue I've had with the GasVap is OA condensing and partially blocking the delivery tube so for the first hive, before fitting the blowtorch, I use it to heat up the delivery tube. I keep a bamboo bbq skewer handy to clear the tube if necessary. After a couple of hives, the tube stays hot enough for the tube to stay clear but at least one heat proof glove is needed to remove the hot cap that had the OA in it. My caps do not always fall out if inverted - maybe a bit of fettling is called for.

CVB

You should have left the wood a bit thicker and cut some vertical groves for grip. And used a darker wood so it complements the color of the copper better. But I guess it will do for a rush job ;).

Canadian bee keeper uses a similar vape and mods his by wrapping it in that heat resistant wadding stuff that wielders use. He was concerned about it cooling too fast so wanted it to keep more heat between vapes. But it helped with handling too. I can did out the vid if you are interested.

When faced with your problem you can appreciate how asbestos can be such a useful material

It surprises me how crude these vapes actually are. Its just a copper vessel and tube that fasten to a blow torch.

I was thinking of getting some heat resistant test tubes. Putting some OA in them, then inserting them into a specially prepared holes in the back of my floors. Once all in place with entrances blocked, I can walk down the line and cook them one after another. I will be able to see when the OA is cooked as I will be able to see through the test tube. Then with a little tap any residue will fall free from the test tube leaving it ready for reuse.

It all looks so good in my imagination what could possibly go wrong......tubes cracking, tubes getting scummed up after a single use, tubes exploding.....

I was also thinking of using copper pipe in a simlar way, I would fold and hammer one end to get a seal.

My gasvap is kept in 1 ltr ice cream tub with a glove, I use a piece of 8mm round electrical wire to remove any blockage. Any apibioxal and measuring spoon are kept at home, doses are measured & added to some small 40mm x 10mm plastic screw lid vials for apiary use and are placed in the gasvap tub.

You should have left the wood a bit thicker and cut some vertical groves for grip. And used a darker wood so it complements the color of the copper better. But I guess it will do for a rush job ;).

:icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Wait until you see the Mk 2 .... aesthetics in the pargyle scheme of things come secondary to materials available ... the american oak was a couple of scraps left ... the next batch will be reclaimed mahogany from our former dining table .... much more in keeping with the copper and also meets my reclamation principles ... vertical grooves are possible on a lathe but it's time consuming and you have to use a jig and a router (yes I have them) but ... horizontal grooves are a good idea.. they are quick and easy and may be beneficial ... watch this space ...

My gasvap is kept in 1 ltr ice cream tub with a glove, I use a piece of 8mm round electrical wire to remove any blockage. Any apibioxal and measuring spoon are kept at home, doses are measured & added to some small 40mm x 10mm plastic screw lid vials for apiary use and are placed in the gasvap tub.
Good idea especially if apiary is located in a turbulent area !
it’s a pity the the approved supplier doesn’t do the measured dose tablets !

Here you are Bobba ... Mk 2 .... and a few. Not my greatest woodturning but they are not a work of art ,,,

Attachments

• caps 1.jpg
    caps 1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 44
  • caps 2.jpg
    caps 2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 45
  • caps 3.jpg
    caps 3.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 40
  • caps 4.jpg
    caps 4.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 41
  • caps 5.jpg
    caps 5.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 42
My gas blow torch would not work with the GasVap. It uses a Butane/Propane mix and the flame kept going out through lack of air. I have an old paraffin blow torch that I recently refurbished so tried to use that. The first attempt did not go well. :oops::whistle:

Ive since added an extra piece of 3/4" copper pipe to the end of the gas torch and drilled some holes in it to let air in. It works now. Will update with picture tomorrow if I remember.

I like the wooden cap mod. Will try that.

Ive since added an extra piece of 3/4" copper pipe to the end of the gas torch and drilled some holes in it to let air in. It works now. Will update with picture tomorrow if I remember.

I like the wooden cap mod. Will try that.
I use the supplied burner . A tip, I use calibrie gas it’s purer than Ronson .
I have a turbo twin burner lighter the recommended fuel for this is Calibrie or Outdoors own branded gas . Never fails .

Latest posts

Back