GasVap frustrations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most important accessory with the sublimox imho is a pair of flexothane overtrousers to kneel in.
I don't bend down while vaping with the sublimox any more. This year I drilled holes in the edge of the crown boards. This allows me to vape across the top of the frames whilst I stand! 😊

Vaping oxalic is definitely the way forward, alongside something else, but I do know a large beefarmer who only vapes, with very good results
Vaping (sublimation) is really old hat. Been doing it for at least 13 years!! Note your dislike of Apiguard but it suits me fine.

Is there any chepaer sublimox than £300? Seems a lot for treating 20 units.

PH

Ok so Victor yes I am using Ron whatsit gas so who supplies the purified butane?

Yes the pizio failed and the whole shebang is due to go back to Amazon, I cannot be doing with kit that won't work well.

I tried heating the tube and that failed it took a 3mm bit to drill it out.

Is the gasvap actually meant to cope with more than three hives I am wondering. I haven't managed more than 5 in a row before some damn thing or other has brought me up hard?
I have done 20 in a row with the gas vap no issues.

Ok so Victor yes I am using Ron whatsit gas so who supplies the purified butane?

Yes the pizio failed and the whole shebang is due to go back to Amazon, I cannot be doing with kit that won't work well.

I tried heating the tube and that failed it took a 3mm bit to drill it out.

Is the gasvap actually meant to cope with more than three hives I am wondering. I haven't managed more than 5 in a row before some damn thing or other has brought me up hard?
£1.25 any DIY store . 5EC90CDD-594B-40B6-88F0-7400C6EDF0C5.jpeg

I've been through similar with the gasvap, also wands, also my own home made seven shot blown air glowplug design, eventually went down the sublimox route and haven't regretted it, it's made for purpose, easy to use and robust enough to keep going all day. Its better for my nerves as each one of the earlier efforts resulted in lots of swearing and wasted time.

Rather than mess about I went straight for the Provap 220 and Generator a few years back, works perfectly. Even use Apibioxal without issue bar some residue in the cup base. Great kit.

Most important accessory with the sublimox imho is a pair of flexothane overtrousers to kneel in.

Hollandscountryclothing do PU coated stuff, fortexflex I think, which is usually a bit cheaper than flexothane and I've found them pretty good.

Do folk stick to one level scoop of api-bioxal when using the gas vap? I think that was what the instructions recommended but it doesn’t seem a lot and I’m curious whether people tend to use a bit more?

Do folk stick to one level scoop of api-bioxal when using the gas vap? I think that was what the instructions recommended but it doesn’t seem a lot and I’m curious whether people tend to use a bit more?
You need 2.3g of Apibioxyl per full hive. The GasVap scoop measures significantly lower. I bought a small scales on eBay that measures grms. With GasVap scoop you need 1.5 scoops

I use 1.5g (red spoon on the ProVap) and less for Nucs (blue spoon), it'll save you money if using api-bioxal and your kit won't clog with the additives.

Some reading if interested -
https://www.theapiarist.org/vaporising-api-bioxal/https://scientificbeekeeping.com/oxalic-acid-heat-vaporization-and-other-methods-part-2-of-2-parts/https://scientificbeekeeping.com/images/stories/varroa/oxalic2-3.jpg

I used to get a decent drop after the OSR was sprayed, very antidotal evidence, but mite loads were always low after.
I don't like Apigaurd, just my own thoughts, but don't feel it's effective. Colonies coming late back from the Heather would certainly gain little benefit and I like strip treatment, whatever is used, to be within the Colonies, not sat on top.
Vaping oxalic is definitely the way forward, alongside something else, but I do know a large beefarmer who only vapes, with very good results
We have a VM on order, which should be here end of summer, hopefully, the bending required to use the sublimox is not helping my back at all.
I use my Sublimox through a hole drilled in an eke above the brood box, no back bending and v quick adding the eke. Seems v effective.

I use my Sublimox through a hole drilled in an eke above the brood box, no back bending and v quick adding the eke. Seems v effective.
I don't even use an eke. I have holes in the rim on the underside of crown boards. You don't have to disturb the bees at all just remove the roof and stick the nozzle in the hole. Job done!

I don't even use an eke. I have holes in the rim on the underside of crown boards. You don't have to disturb the bees at all just remove the roof and stick the nozzle in the hole. Job done!
Thanks , I had a look at my CBs as I saw you’d said something similar once before, but as they are glass the rim isn’t deep enough below the glass. Might have to have some new polycarbonate ones made with a deeper rim!

Thanks , I had a look at my CBs as I saw you’d said something similar once before, but as they are glass the rim isn’t deep enough below the glass. Might have to have some new polycarbonate ones made with a deeper rim!
I make my own crown boards with a 9mm rim the sublimox nozzle is 6mm

I need to go on a woodworking course and re-skill🤣 Maybe not 🏥

Just go to a DIY store and buy some wood strips (which come in many sizes) and glue/pin to existing rim on one side of the CB

Attachments

• F32BCE98-643A-4AF7-B10C-2E2BF4E27413.jpeg
    F32BCE98-643A-4AF7-B10C-2E2BF4E27413.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 49
Just go to a DIY store and buy some wood strips (which come in many sizes) and glue/pin to existing rim on one side of the CB
I trust you have decanted apibioxal in that oxalic acid container?

Latest posts

Back