Gas Vap whilst feeding.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnabill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm currently feeding syrup to my hives and was wondering if it's possible to Gas Vap at the same time. Whilst not a problem if it can't be done, just thought it might be a time saver for me. Thanks.

I have fondant above the crown boards . usually I put this on after vaping . I have read mid December is the broodless period, regardless of the weather . Hopefully I can get on with vaping ?
3 vapes at 5 day intervals ?

I have fondant above the crown boards . usually I put this on after vaping . I have read mid December is the broodless period, regardless of the weather . Hopefully I can get on with vaping ?
3 vapes at 5 day intervals ?
Christmas treat:)
Im hoping to vap some next week.
Ive got fondant on some already.

Just once at this time of year
I usually vap once . Around New year .
I've done them this afternoon . I
weather fine . Opened the entrances . A couple of ghost bees came out on the landing boards . Absolutely covered in crystallised OA .
I thought, how do they see/breathe even ? A few took off and returned so they’re able to manage .

Have done mine during the last two weeks, two only once, two twice owing to volumes dropping.

Vaped all mine last week. Winter treat.
Equipment now in storage for 12 months.

The University of Sussex LASI team recommend two vapes 10 days apart. If it has a 90% knockdown rate, two treatments gives 99%.

You can keep fondant on during vaping or put it on at any time. Simples!

Much more effective doing three vapes five days apart, with ten days you risk getting mites going back into the sealed brood.

Hopefully there shouldn't be any sealed brood now so one vape is enough, Shirley?
I vaped mine seven days ago from the top with a GasVap via a hole drilled in the rim of the CBs. Yesterday I checked the sticky paper on the varroa boards and was surprised to find fewer than 10 varroa on all hives. I had vaped x3 in late August then added Amitraz strips (now removed) late September because of continuing high drop on most hives

LASI has you going in to kill any brood first. If you’re going to do that and have a second vape then 6/7 days makes much more sense than 10

If I recall correctly, LASI found that vaped OA was effective for 8 to 10 days BUT my observation would be that founders mites that escape the OA could return to a brood cell, if there is brood, within 5 days so I’d prefer 3 x 5-day intervals - 2.5g of Apibioxal or other OA-based product. There’s a lot of research to be done on OA and varroa - I haven’t seen any proper studies done on the 3 x 5 regime so academia has to try to catch up with practical beekeepers.

I haven’t seen any proper studies done on the 3 x 5 regime so academia has to try to catch up with practical beekeepers.
I did ask the question of Ratnieks when he was in Wales a few years ago plugging his 'hygienic' queens He flatly refused to consider doing research on the 3x5 method as 'why? my method works, no need to trial others'

I did ask the question of Ratnieks when he was in Wales a few years ago plugging his 'hygienic' He flatly refused to consider doing research on the 3x5 method as 'why? my method works, no need to trial others'
Its supposed to be taboo to blow your own horn. I’m constantly astonished by intelligent people seeming to be arrogant or perhaps being to arrogant. Our current understanding is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Back