Garlic powder and icing sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nopants

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Heard about a treatment being tried in Yorkshire for varoa. Ive heard of icing sugar but never use of garlic?

Garlic ?
Any idea what the results are ?
I have read of some beekeepers in the states using cinnamon powder..

Doesn't garlic repel all insects ?

Cum'on us Yorkshire folk will try anything it is free, or if we think we can charge you southern lot some money for somthing we got free!

Jim,I would laugh if it was funny.
People around my way would buy an air guitar if the neighbor's said they had one..

I've read that garlic in sugar syrup can be used for Chalk brood treatment.

I used a dusting of icing sugar to see if we had varroa. I hadn't seen any, and we'd had zero drop on the floors when we checked. A quick dusting of icing sugar (the bees didn't seem bothered at all) knocked a few varroa off almost instantly, and we've followed up with Apiguard (which is knocking lots of them off).

No idea on Garlic!

If you bye oxalic acid, it is practically free.

Method is not free if you loose your hive or your yield.

Diseases are serious issue. After 47 beekeeping years, I do nothing my own against varroa. It has surprised me couple of times and it is expencive.

There 20 practical recipe against varroa, no need to find DIY.

Powder sugar is humbug too. Chindrens' game.

Diseases are serious issue. After 47 beekeeping years, I do nothing my own against varroa. It has surprised me couple of times and it is expencive.

Finman are you saying that Oxalic acid is the only varroa treatment you use ?

A beekeeper on a French forum tried the garlic/sugar mix last autumn.He reported his figures. It dropped a few mites. He then treated with thymol, and the large number of mites that fell showed the garlic/sugar treatment numbers to be insignificant.

It dropped a few mites. He then treated with thymol, and the large number of mites that fell showed the garlic/sugar treatment numbers to be insignificant.

I would agree here. We dusted and got a few - enough to prove that we had to worry about varroa. Now that we are using apigard, we have loads of dead mites on the OMF boards.

Thank you Finman.

Well any thing is worth a try until these mites are irradicated and become resistant to apiguard. I have had good results with apigard. But all methods must be used or we become too complacent and reliant on old methods we know that work and worked in the past.

I knew of one Bee keeper who had kept Bees for 30 years. He couldnt get to grips with Varoa and in the end it killed all his Bees. When I saw the hives and equiptment he was using I wasnt suprised. His Hives were caked up in wax and propolis and hadnt been cleaned or disinfected. I wondered then whether or not he was using foundation that was old and becoming contaminated with chemicals he was using. Just makes you wonder

Latest posts

Back