Gardening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi. Thought I'd create this in off topic rather than join another forum. Just wondering what crops people have had success with sown in Autumn. I have just sown lambs lettuce and broad beans. Happy to hear other suggestions. Any one had success with carrots? Cheers

Hi. Thought I'd create this in off topic rather than join another forum. Just wondering what crops people have had success with sown in Autumn. I have just sown lambs lettuce and broad beans. Happy to hear other suggestions. Any one had success with carrots? Cheers
Best to post this in "Back to the land/Smallholding" "thread" which is just below this forum in the listing. You may/should get a response there..

Onions, Shallots and Garlic ... Broad beans Aquadulcia Claudia, Spring onions sown in autumn (under cloches is best) will give you an early crop in spring. Peas under a cloche will be ready a month early next year .. Kelvedon Wonder does well over winter. Some varieties of carrot will overwinter although I've never bothered (heavy clay soil) but I know people with raised beds that do well with overwinter carrots.

Reactions: Ely
Pre autumn late July I sow sprouts undercover and they were like this on the 12th. Screenshot_20211020_200227_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Hopefully ready in the next 3 weeks.
Spring cabbage hispi or most hearted type sown late Sept for greens at Xmas and winter, hearted april ( hunger gap)
Parsley sown in August transplanted into the tunnel for a winter crop.
Mizuna/rocket I can sow pretty much all year round under cover (tunnel)
I say undercover a sunny window sill would do.

I also put in elephant garlic (a type of leek) and potato onions, which also overwinter well.

Elephant garlic and normal garlic ,spring greens, lettuce, broad beans,, phacelia for the bees! To name a few

Garlic (already sprouting), lettuce, spring onions and beetroot (under cover).
In a cold greenhouse - sweet peas, forget-me-nots & parsley.

Elephant garlic and normal garlic ,spring greens, lettuce, broad beans,, phacelia for the bees! To name a few
Tried normal garlic, but gets wiped out by rust every year, so switched to elephant garlic

Tried normal garlic, but gets wiped out by rust every year, so switched to elephant garlic
Elephant garlic does get some rust. We remove rusty leaves as early as possible and never put them in our compost. Funnily enough they will stand some amount of rust without too much of a problem. White rot was out problem on our onions for a while until we heard that garlic powder on the bed a couple of months before planting the onions makes the spores react but they have nothing more to feed on so they die. No white rot for two years!!!

Never had problems growing allium until a couple of year ago when the dreaded leaf miner appeared, now all our leaks are grown beneath protective cover,ps am a great fan of all types of oriental brassica which we grow in polytunnel through the winter as cut and come again salad as well as letting some mature for steaming and stir fries.

Never had problems growing allium until a couple of year ago when the dreaded leaf miner appeared, now all our leaks are grown beneath protective cover,ps am a great fan of all types of oriental brassica which we grow in polytunnel through the winter as cut and come again salad as well as letting some mature for steaming and stir fries.
Always amazes me just how full you can keep your greenhouses in winter! I have two large greenhouses that never stop producing stuff. Water dress grows all year in the soil perfectly well just as an example!

Always amazes me just how full you can keep your greenhouses in winter! I have two large greenhouses that never stop producing stuff. Water dress grows all year in the soil perfectly well just as an example!
Yep and a bunch bought from a shop roots so easily in water to give new plants doesn't it. By the way,don't know about you but we have had the worst year ever for toms, inside and out all suffered terribly from blight so much so rather than just heritage varieties next year ,I'm tempted to give a blight reistant variety a go.

Yep and a bunch bought from a shop roots so easily in water to give new plants doesn't it. By the way,don't know about you but we have had the worst year ever for toms, inside and out all suffered terribly from blight so much so rather than just heritage varieties next year ,I'm tempted to give a blight reistant variety a go.
We were lucky with no sign of blight on tomatoes or potatoes. Even the sweet potatoes gave a decent crop, learnt by my mistake last year and grew them in pots and not in the ground. Our worst thing this year has been white fly. Clouds of them in the brassicas!

We had masses if whitefly in the poly tunnel last year despite using Encarsia and marigolds.
This year everything got sprayed weekly with SB plant invigorator and we had no problems at all. Still waiting to harvest sweet potatoes. Our freezers are groaning with bumper crops and raspberries are still going

I love my garden too and find Autumn sown veg really good up here under a cloche. Broad Beans, Artic King Lettuce, garlic excellent, peas do well also. Love phacellia for Nitrogen replacement and also Bee flowers. My mixed Brassicas do well in a green tunnel which keeps hungry Birds away.

We had masses if whitefly in the poly tunnel last year despite using Encarsia and marigolds.
This year everything got sprayed weekly with SB plant invigorator and we had no problems at all. Still waiting to harvest sweet potatoes. Our freezers are groaning with bumper crops and raspberries are still going
Just finished making industrial amounts of borshe for the freezer!

After serious blight last year outside I grew Mountain Magic this year in the same soil. No sign of blight. Taste ok but not as good as some heritage I have grown before.

Won't ever try tomatoes outdoors again, even had some blight in the greenhouse this year. Have tried Mountain Magic but underwhelmed with cropping and taste tbh. If you can find the seed, Fandango is really worth a try and I always grow Sungold as the sweetest bite size tom. Or can anyone recommend a better one?

Won't ever try tomatoes outdoors again, even had some blight in the greenhouse this year. Have tried Mountain Magic but underwhelmed with cropping and taste tbh. If you can find the seed, Fandango is really worth a try and I always grow Sungold as the sweetest bite size tom. Or can anyone recommend a better one?
I've found that Maskotka is a good one to grow ... very fast to mature and fruit, bush variety so no pinching out, loads of fruit, small to medium tomato size, very forgiving and reasonably blight resistant. My garden does suffer from blight and it is really annoying - I lost all my Roma tomatoes to blight this year but managed a crop from the Maskotka ... they are not ideal for rendering down to sauce though .... more a salad tomato ... bit bigger than cherry ones but not a full salad size.

Latest posts

Back