Garden club visit, advice please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Hi all
The local garden club are coming for afternoon tea and a good old trunk round my garden in two weeks time.(Seemed like a good idea in the depths of winter..)
My bees are generally well behaved and I can restrict the visitors so they don't come within 40 yds of the hives. No one has ever been stung when friends come round and go in the garden so it's an unlikely occurrence.
Is there anything else I should do? Should I put up a warning sign where I close off the access? Disclaimer??
Advice much appreciated.
Cazza

Cazza, - plan for the worst, hope for the best.

If you have 'strangers' coming i.e. not family and friends, then you do not know their characters or intentions, some may be out for something for nothing. In this 'claim' culture I would think about a discrete 'caution bees' sign. Last thing you want is an allergic to bees vistor kicking up a stink!

I would suggest that you inform your local garden club committee that you now have bees, that the visit is viable in your opinion but that club members attend at their risk and I would confirm a phone call with a 'further to our discussions email'. It is then for them to inform participants, after all your are simply providing the venue, they are the organisers.

Backstop is you BBKA third party insurance I suppose. sad you have to think like this these days.

EDIT: shift the decision burden to the visitors, make it their knowing choice and I'm sure you'll be fine - it'll probably add a whole new dimension to visit along the bee friendly garden plants discussion route! ... and in a years time when you are 'mentor' to the five visitors who took up beekeeping as a result .....

Last edited:
Thanks Rosti,
The club AGM is next week and I am an active member so I can make sure everyone knows then.
I know most people so it should be ok, they mostly know I keep bees.

I will put up a sign too.

Cazza

Latest posts

Back