Garden beekeepers: What are your bees foraging on?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it isn't because of the sun, the like Buddlea globosa as well as the long variety! Thanks

Please keep these coming for September which is notoriously a difficult month for foraging! I am compiling a list for July, August and September and will post it, Will do it again next year for the earlier months. Thanks to everyone

I too have observed that they don't go on the plants near to the hives, but can be found about 50 yards away. Of course they may not be my bees!! ha!

Mine (? how can I own a bee?) are foraging on the buddleia and borage no more than 5 metres from the hive... (the smell of buddleia is overpowering on a calm sunny day.. We have 7 bushes - was 15 lost lots in winter , growing new ones from seed)

Apparently you don't own them if they swarm under an old Roman law - they are then anyone's for the taking!

Have you had the common stinging nettle as the pollen from that is full of nutrition for the bees.

Mo.

First time this season the bees are using our garden, they are all over the newly flowering sedum, but the him. balsam is still their main pull.

There aren't as many of ours bringing balsam back now. Still a few, but more of them seem to be bringing a pollen that is the same colour, but with no shrouding ( ivy? )

I read recently that a honey bee will devote itself to one type of plant and bring that home until it dies, although if that plant stops producing, they will change to a different type of plant....do you know what I mean? Very interesting. I think it's in Hoopers, as that's the only bee book I'm reading at the moment. I thought they bobbed along and brought whatever they came across. ( IDK if that's the same for all types of bee as I have observed bumbles taking from the range of plants in my garden, they seem to go from one to the next )

Ivy flow has just started here, I noticed my garden ivy was attracting attention for the first time this morning.
Cazza

Thanks, didn't know that. Will dig a clump up from our allotment and transplant to the garden in our 'wild' area.

My bees are currently working Sedum (Autumn Joy)+++, Cosmos+++, Cornflowers++ and less so, Verbena bonariensis+, Echium vulgare+ (Vipers Bugloss) These are all probably over in the South but currently flowering in Cumbria. I think most of the plants written up as bee friendly entertain Bumblebees and hoverflies more than honey bees (eg Michaelmas Daisies). Though I am mystified why honey bees on the Isle of Wight go mad for Hardy small flowered Fuschias (Riccartonii?), whereas I have not seen a single Honey Bee on the same Fuschia up here - lots of Bumbles though. I suspect there would be more in the garden if there was no Himalayan Balsam in range.

Today in Norwich it is overcast but warm. Rained this morning. Grass still damp.

Some bees in Obs hive are bringing in orange pollen and others have been for a quick re-spray in white, although none of the bees in other hives have found the paint shop today. They are carrying dark yellow bin bags...

Bees outside Obs hive entrance enjoying the warmth. Cafe Alf Fresco.

Sunny and warm in Berkshire this lunchtime.

Honey Bees working the following:

Lavender
Sedum
Sunflowers
Caryopteris-Heavenly Blue (I read the label!)
Lavetera
Himalayan Balsam
Evening Primrose ( that was earlier today)
Borage
Aster/Daisy
Fuscia species
Dandelions

Ivy just about to get going.......

AMAE

Up until last week my bees were stuffing themselves silly with 'golden rod' sorry, I don't know the proper name but it was absolutely heaving with bees.
Tara.

Nice bees Dishmop :p

Ours aren't bringing in as much pollen now as two weeks ago. The weather has got noticably colder, which has coincided with Her Madg reducing her laying. No brood at all in the super now, and they have replaced the cells with honey. They are just bringing a creamy coloured pollen, but with no shrouding. The recent rain made the river swell, and as a result flattened all the balsam :( I've not seen any Ivy in the area...doesn't mean there is none though.

Has been warm in Norwich today and they aew still going out at 6.30. Been bring home huge lumps of orange pollen all day..

Last edited:
I haven't seen the bright orange pollen for about three weeks now. They are still very busy though.

Am I right in saying they feed the larva pollen, so if the brood is decreasing, they won't need as much. Would they then concentrate on nectar, water and propolis?

They also store pollen for next spring, ready for the new brood.

Thanks Silly. Would they concentrate mostly on nectar etc at this time, while still bringing a bit of pollen. I am just wondering why they don't seem to be bringing as much pollen back, even though there is still a lot of things available for them.

bringing in orange pollen at 4pm ish in Wakefield. overcast and rainy day in general

Any idea what the orange pollen is? Mine are bringing in bucket loads (yes, well trained bees - I send them out with little mini buckets!).

Latest posts

Back