galvenised steel honey extrator - Any Info??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there I have the chance of getting my hands on a second hand extractor, it is made from galvanised steel from germany, I havent heard anything about Galvenised still just stainless steel ones?

Any info/ Anyone know if they are any good??

The short word for this item is Scrap.

Do not use.

PH

If you are buying a galvanised steel extractor you should get it at a good price. Then have it powder coated. Find someone in yellow pages. I was quoted less than £50 for food grade powder coating. It is thought that the galvanising can taint the honey, it is also prone to rust. A good powdercoating of plastic should make it last for years.

the galvanic coating is zinc and honey extracted in said galvanised extractor "could" then exceed the safe levels for zinc content that would be required if you were to sell your honey.

I am led to believe that if you wish to only use the extracted honey for personal use, then a galvanised extractor is ok to use if you choose to

my personal view however, would be

The short word for this item is Scrap.

i sold one i aquired years ago (and never used) on ebay and got a good price for it

:sifone:

I think it is Trading Standards or Environmental Health or some such body that says only stainless steel and food grade plastic can be used. If you only ever want to use it for your own consumption then you would probably be safe'ish but if you sold honey and bits of zinc turned up in it then expect the fine to be several times the cost of a new extractor.

Mel,

Now then, before you scrap the idea, ascertain if this thing is 'electrificated'.

At the right price you may be able to take advantage later.
Apart from that - it is scrap. Theoretically, you could extract for your own use, but tinned or galvanised steel is just not acceptable as food grade materials these days.

I bought one for thirty quid last year. I recently fitted the drive to my nine frame Lega and it makes all the difference between extracting being 'hard work' and 'a piece of cake'

The sturdy plastic drum is now a water butt and the cage is....scrap. I suppose I could buy a stainless steel or plastic cage and put it on epay.....

Regards, RAB

most of these spinners are constructed with solder in the joints, this would melt during the powder-coating process (I've enquired about this before)

Last edited:
ok so phone call to my local coating company says it may well be possible, they do lots of food grade stuff will take it down and see, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Thanks guys as always you are the source of much help to someone of verylimited time!!

Epoxy paint is the other option but suggest looking at getting it done professionally as it is not easy stuff to use - cures very quickly in the pot and is expensive.

Latest posts

Back