Gale force winds and

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
With all these high winds we have been having on the island i thought whilst the rain had stopped i would go and check my beehives this morning after i had repaired the shed roof :smash: and covered the convertible up as it's like a pond on the back seat:mad:

Anyway as i walked up the side of the field i had these pictures of hives blown all over the place they are not in the most wind proof field lol. I couldn't believe it the bees where out flying all 4 hives not just the odd bee but a steady flow of them . :)

They'd been out tipping water into a convertible...:willy_nilly:

Same here in N. Yorks. Very high winds over night with some localised damage, went down to check the hives (and found everything fine). It was still very windy and about 8'C (without windchill) and two hives had girls out flying, not many granted and I'm not sure they were going where they wanted, more taken where they went!

Bit of wind and all hell breaks loose.....just recieved e mail from parcelforce.

Dear Customer

We just wanted to inform you that due to severe adverse weather conditions overnight we have encountered major disruption to air and sea services to Northern Ireland. Contingency arrangements have been put in place to deliver as many parcels as possible today, but we expect this to result in some delays to express10, expressAM, express24 and express48 deliveries today. Where possible any outstanding deliveries will be made on Saturday.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

As I am in Belgium my FinL is keeping an eye on the hive for me and reports they are still flying well in Devon - to the point he has suggested feeding them anti-freeze instead of syrup...I think he was joking...

You hope that he was joking . . .

1976 German wine was found to be adulterated with glycol. Picked up by a tax inspector who wondered why a vinery was claiming so much for anti-freeze (greedy). It transpired that they were using it to sweeten the white wine. As a result it was also found that other vineries throughout Germany and beyond were using this wine to fortify their own.

The incident certainly raised the curtain on yet another malpractice in the wine trade.

So, you just can never tell. I think that your Fini needs tied to the bedstead when you get home and given a bit of a grilling . . . who knows, he might enjoy it. :)

1976 German wine was found to be adulterated with glycol. Picked up by a tax inspector who wondered why a vinery was claiming so much for anti-freeze (greedy). It transpired that they were using it to sweeten the white wine. As a result it was also found that other vineries throughout Germany and beyond were using this wine to fortify their own.

Happened in Hungary too - big scandal in the '80s. And I seem to remember something similar with Perrier Water.

Latest posts

Back