Gadgets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Are there any gadgets for beekeeping you have bought and in your opinion a waste of time and money

LOL...

Plastic/tinplate spacers.

Apidictor.

Concrete hive + fibreglass hive.

Porter beeblocker.

Best beekeeping aid, the humble builders barrow.

PH

LOL...

Plastic/tinplate spacers.

Apidictor.

Concrete hive + fibreglass hive.

Porter beeblocker.

Best beekeeping aid, the humble builders barrow.

PH
I successfully use both porter bee escapes and plastic spacers ,wide and narrow as required :)
Blocked escapes = finger trouble ,. hand on heart I have never had one blocked, proper adjustment sees to that ! plus never putting supers on upturned roof in front of hives , this collects returning drones that could lead to blocked escapes and dead drones jammed in QX.
VM

Worst gadget.... Poly nuc from payn**, at least the feeder bit
Best gadget..... A 1980's linen basket made out of raffia type material, cut the bottom off in 1985 and still using it to collect swarms. Drop the swarm in and turn it upside down on the lid, slight angle, in evening put flat on lid and take it away. Light, bees cling on go it, squashe to get between branches.......
E

Heather roller (metal one, for loosening).

Worst gadget.... Poly nuc from payn**, at least the feeder bit
Ha ha, know what you mean. Will block it up next time.

If it was anything like the one I had years ago it was useless.

As handy as the Cut Comb stainless steel cutter still sold...

PH

Queen marking cage from a firm in Scotland who are agents for new arrivals Ab*lo - it was too small.

Frame lifter. Got it then realised I come equipped with two already, one on the end of each arm. May use it if they are overly tetchy on an inspection.

Best gadget by far is the humble J hive tool

I bought one from flebay got my money back and bought one from th**Ns

Me too, from their shop there.

They were late delivering too - should have gone for the money back too.

Best gadget
an old heavy duty hacksaw blade, one of those that is in a blacksmiths workshop that is powered by electric motor, about 2'' across, with blade sharpend at one like a chisel, thats good for scaping off the old brood wax/propolis and prizing out the beading at the top of the frame. then the cutting edge fits perfectly in the space between the bottom bars and up the sides its brill.

Enrico

what exactly does not work with the Pa***s polynuc feeder . I cut a piece of plastic excluder to slide in the slot to keep Her Majesty out and painted the feeder with a few coats of gloss paint, sprinkling sharp sand on the final coat to give the bees grip. That together with the wooden float seems to work well and have had no casualties.f

worst gadget porter escape

best gadgets ...

two bits of black correx edges folded over and stapled as inspection covers.
Slatted staging out of the green house to put supers and brood boxes on... the slats let the bees out of the boxes while inspecting yet allowing the tops to be covered

I know this is an old thread but thought would be worth asking. I am about to have an op on my wrist (literally waiting to go to theatre at the moment!) has anyone more experience of using a frame lifter as I am not going to be able to easily lift frames with both hands for some time (hubby is on bee duty for a while) and perhaps not ever. Anyone got any other ideas for easy lifting?

Not able to advise on frame lifter, but the best of luck with your op and I hope you get back to your bees two-handed soon!

Frame lifter - I don't think it will help your wrists.

They're too small to use with both hands, so the weight of the frame is on one wrist only. You have to squeeze the thing to make sure it grips - the spring keeps it open, which is the wrong way round. The spring should be strong enough to keep it closed, but would probably get gummed up in no time at all.

The only thing it might be useful for is holding a frame whilst uncapping.

Good luck with your op., I hope it's successful.

Latest posts

Back