Fungal spores in honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxnatbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
I was thinking about Paul Stamet's claims on beneficial fungi for bees. He has a website www.fungi.com where he has a commercial interest in promoting this idea.

I'm prepared to entertain the idea that bees might occasionally forage for spores for
(a) self medicating or
(b) protein during pollen dearths
but I don't recall them being mentioned when I did a pollen-in-honey microscopy course. They would surely show up in honey.

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen fungal spores in honey. If the answer is no, Stamet's claims lose credibility. I'm only aware of AFB and botulism spores being found in honey.

As far as I am aware you don't get fungii spores in honey, but you get hyphae in honeydew which is not quite the same thing.

I was thinking about Paul Stamet's claims on beneficial fungi for bees. He has a website www.fungi.com where he has a commercial interest in promoting this idea.

I'm prepared to entertain the idea that bees might occasionally forage for spores for
(a) self medicating or
(b) protein during pollen dearths
but I don't recall them being mentioned when I did a pollen-in-honey microscopy course. They would surely show up in honey.

I was wondering if anyone had ever seen fungal spores in honey. If the answer is no, Stamet's claims lose credibility. I'm only aware of AFB and botulism spores being found in honey.
Botulism is the one of interest, should it be found in food for human consumption.
Is this why honey not recommended for infants under 1 year of age?

Latest posts

Back