Full Brood box.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezshim

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just checked hive and brood box is very full now, I have a super which is half filled with honey on top of queen excluder, should I put another brood box on top of full one, then QE then replace super or will a that be to much room for them?

Depends on what you are trying to do really. If you want a double brood then go ahead. Otherwise, put a second super under (or on top of) the first one and bruise any stored honey in the brood box to make the bees move it up.

So leave the queen excluder on the brood box but have 2 supers?

Yes, leave the excluder as it is, add the new super and then put the original super on top. This will provide some space for the bees and stores transfer will free up cells for brood.

Ok many thanks, will do it tomorrow, weather permitting.

Ok many thanks, will do it tomorrow, weather permitting.

I'd suit up and get the super on regardless of the weather. By the sounds of it they really need the space and they'll barely notice what you're up to if you're quick but gentle;). Leave the bruising if the weather isn't too good though

Can you define your full brood box?

Need that information and to know what is happening to the brood nest.

Pointless adding another brood if the brood nest has already peaked.

Seems as though it may need another super anyway. If the brood box is congested with stores, more brooding space can be arranged by bruising some of the stores cappings (in conjunction with the extra super).

Going double brood in July needs more thought.

RAB

Brood should be at seasonal peak at the moment, so why the need for more brood space? You have stores in the brood chamber, if they need these cells, they'll empty them.

Just make sure they have lots of space as suggested by making sure there is room up in the supers. New super under the first one.

Brood box full of brood and stores
Have added another super,and bruised some cappings, al.though I didnt see queen, there were lots of eggs,so looking good.
No Queen cells either .Will leave alone now for a week.

Latest posts

Back