Front feeders in Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big robert

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
What do we think of front feeders in Winter and what ones would we say are Best and the Best mixture to put in them

What do we think of front feeders in Winter and what ones would we say are Best and the Best mixture to put in them
If you mean those budgie cage feeders that fit in the entrance, there is no 'good' time to use them, either winter or summer. The best place for them is the bin

Ive got a hive thats went aggresive and im no want to mess a out going into it and disturbin it till spring there really bad the other hives are great but i was looking for a easy answer to feeding them

I had a terrible year very little necter in the hives i was late in feeding them and the swarm was late sep

What hive type are you running? Poly or wood? Have you hefted the hive(s) / weighed them / checked the stores???

I would think they're going to struggle regardless, if they are not doomed already, I'm assuming you don't even know whether there was a mated queen in there? the sudden aggressiveness could have been down to that. Only thing I would advise is grasp the nettle, go in and slap a slab of fondant on the top bars and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Get everything ready in advance - Fondant and eke.
Lift crownboard gently, put on eke, then fondant, then CB. If done on a cold day they are unlikely to break cluster. I always keep the fondant indoors for a day before so that it is warm.

Get someone local who knows what he/she is doing to give you a hand. More confidence comes with time spent.

First question is whether this colony should be in a nuc for over-wintering.

IF it happened to be a cast (unlikely) they might well not have emerging brood until the end of October. Little surprise they may have been feisty.

What they need is a properly sized box, or be dummied down, with sufficient fondant to keep them going through the winter and into the spring. Preferably a poly-box and with at least 50mm insulation over a closed crownboard.

The only time I have used front feeders was for early brooders in a cold spring when they were fed with a weak sugar solution which was gradually reduced to water only, when they were effective (I think).

Yet another alternative, if appropriate, might be to unite with another colony. But such a late artival may not yet be proven to be healthy. Even so, getting late for the inexperienced to be trying that.

Last edited:
Back