gtb 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
"The registered bee population..."

I can see it now...ID cards for bees :)

I don't see how forced registration helps, unless it is a step on the road to forced inspections, record keeping, training, etc.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
the only suprise I have in this is that there was so little reported disease in Scotland. I do find that a bit scary but not unsurprising as there is not much in the way of education over the border now with the Colleges of Agri prety much ignoring beekeeping now.

I am taken aback though at the sheer amount of disease in England. Astonishing.

As beekeeping is hardly dying out in Scotland with out the assistance of inspectors are they so very critical?

PH

gavin 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
... unless it is a step on the road to forced inspections, record keeping, training, etc.
We are already obliged to open our gates to inspectors and to keep records if we are selling to the public.

the only suprise I have in this is that there was so little reported disease in Scotland. I do find that a bit scary but not unsurprising as there is not much in the way of education over the border now with the Colleges of Agri prety much ignoring beekeeping now.

I am taken aback though at the sheer amount of disease in England. Astonishing.

As beekeeping is hardly dying out in Scotland with out the assistance of inspectors are they so very critical?

PH
Hi PH

Auchincruive (SAC) now have a bee advisor and he tours the country speaking to associations and hosting visits to the facilities they have there.

The SBA are also active running training of various types. There is still a great variation in the level of beekeeping knowledge and skill of course and so much more could be done to improve the levels of husbandry. Not so different N and S of the border though, except in the presence of dedicated bee inspectors?

More native bees though, and less imports .... (Gavin ducks ... ;) )

all the best

Gavin