From manual to Electric..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
I am currently messing about changing a manual extractor to electric using a treadmill motor..but it is far too fast on the lowest setting ..does anyone know of a good speed controller to slow a 230v DC motor down..i would have sacked the idea and went for a mobility scooter motor but all the metal work has now been done to fix it to my extractor..
Thank you in advance.
Steve..

Have you thought about pulleys? Would that work?

I am currently messing about changing a manual extractor to electric using a treadmill motor..but it is far too fast on the lowest setting ..does anyone know of a good speed controller to slow a 230v DC motor down..i would have sacked the idea and went for a mobility scooter motor but all the metal work has now been done to fix it to my extractor..
Thank you in advance.
Steve..

Presumably you have the original speed controller and it's that on the lowest setting that is still turning the motor to fast for your extractor ?

If so you can use a replacement voltage regulator with a wider range to reduce the speed but the problem you will face is that the reduction in voltage applied will also have a proportional reduction in the torque the motor can apply. You may reach a point where there is insufficient torque to drive the extractor.

A resistor in line with the existing controller would reduce the input voltage and that would slow the initial speed but you will find that this may affect the working of the controller.

As someone said earlier, you may be better advised to install either a reduction set of pulleys or a different gear ratio on the extractor. Inconvenient at this stage of design but you could be wasting your money buying a voltage regulator.

Not an easy problem to fix whichever way you go.

If you use a PWM controller you don't lose torque, and you don't need to lose the the power in a resistor either. Unfortunately high voltage PWM controllers are a bit of a rarity in the UK, but these people - https://www.axiscontrols.co.uk/ may be able to help. Worth a chat anyway. A few things to bear in mind though - high DC volts are pretty lethal - worse than AC - so be careful. Running the motor at lower speeds may cause it to overheat, depending on the motor design. Changing to a lower voltage motor would increase the options for speed control and safety...

Last edited:
If you use a PWM controller you don't lose torque, and you don't need to lose the the power in a resistor either. Unfortunately high voltage PWM controllers are a bit of a rarity in the UK, but these people - https://www.axiscontrols.co.uk/ may be able to help. Worth a chat anyway. A few things to bear in mind though - high DC volts are pretty lethal - worse than AC - so be careful. Running the motor at lower speeds may cause it to overheat, depending on the motor design. Changing to a lower voltage motor would increase the options for speed control and safety...

Thank you for that i may have to rethink my idea which is a shame as all the electrics and motor are wired and working fine apart from the speed..i have a Aunt with a mobility scooter that she does not use so i will have a go with that if she will part with it.

Any pics of your set up so far, or how you intend to set it up? Might help with ideas on pulleys.

i have a Aunt with a mobility scooter that she does not use so i will have a go with that if she will part with it.

Sell the scooter and buy yourself a new electric extractor!
😊

Any pics of your set up so far, or how you intend to set it up? Might help with ideas on pulleys.

Here you go..the mount would need to be altered to add a pulley which I think will make it too bulky around the motor area..

Attachments

• 20191224_172035-01.jpeg
    20191224_172035-01.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 50
I’m gussing your main issue is you are running a strait though drive with the pulleys what is your motor rev and what is your desired Cage speed

I have converted my 10 frame extractor. I fitted a 5-1 gear box on the motor drive to bring the speed of the cage down to a max of 248 rev. This ensures you do not blow any frames.

I’m gussing your main issue is you are running a strait though drive with the pulleys what is your motor rev and what is your desired Cage speed

The motor is 1.75HP 4800 rpm ..not sure on the desired cage speed but i would prefer one that does not blow the frames within five seconds on turning it on..i will be picking a battered mobility scooter up tomorrow with a working motor.. so watch this space ( ).. ;)

Sorry would need to know your pully size on the motor end as well 🙂 but wait to how the new motor gose with great interest

I was thinking that it would be better suited to have fitted the motor on the outside of the tank with the pulleys going directly to the main cage shaft, big pulley on main cage shaft.

Here ya go people..nothing scientific just two mates with common sense working together and having a giggle in the process..
We have here a 12V with a 24v motor..?..screwed down to give us a fine sight....tried and teststed with frames and all it cost this little devil next to nothing.

Attachments

• 20191227_181801-01.jpeg
    20191227_181801-01.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20191227_181812-01.jpeg
    20191227_181812-01.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back