FROGDOGDIVER's hive stands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
The pictures

Frogdogdriver's hives stand direct on plate. So rainwater goes to the bottom of hive and keeps it wet? Did I see right?

why do people spend hundreds of pounds on bee hive set ups and dont bother with a simple hive stand costing a few quid, saves an awfull lot of back ache, i know that one big style all my hives are 480mm from the feet ground level to the base of my hives

I thought that if you put them on stands you would bend less, not realising that if you are small like me, once there are 4 supers on you have to lift the top one when it is level with your eyes. Not good. Fell over once. I am putting them on palettes this year.

The stands look like good strong substantial stands to me,about 10" high,how can they be sat in water,they are not in a river.

The stands look like good strong substantial stands to me,about 10" high,how can they be sat in water,they are not in a river.

I spoke about RAIN WATER, not about RIVER WATER

Do you think that the vast bottom plate is good in keeping the bottom dry from rainwater?

I do not wonder if you have moisture problems in England :)

Last edited:
Should be fine, i would think,floor is 3" deep and is mesh floor with slide, as long as water does not rise in apairy more than 13" deep.
Pete,only 3 supers high max, i prefer higher.

Last edited:
Should be fine, i would think,floor is 3" deep and is mesh floor with slide, as long as water does not rise in apairy more than 13" deep.

Sorry, you have so much Viking blood on isles! Not wise to advice a duck to swim.

i blew my back to pieces 8 years aog , six months sitting down rolling along, when i did get my self going again, (a scafold pole up a*** and 8 mm bolts) hold it all together, all i do now is instead of waiting till the end of year to strip all the supers i remove them slowly during the year when i want to

Hey hedgerow pete

We should get together as my lower quarter of my spine is held together with 'scaffolding'. Accident at work.

Regards;

I spoke about RAIN WATER, not about RIVER WATER

Do you think that the vast bottom plate is good in keeping the bottom dry from rainwater?

I do not wonder if you have moisture problems in England :)

My hives sit on 4 breeze blocks with a 2ft x 2ft flag stone sitting flat on top. My hives then sit directly on top of the flag stone.

We have just got through one of the wettest winters in Northern Ireland in a number of years. I was at my hives today and the bees are all well and living. And no I didnt crack the crown board as it is still too cold. I checked fondant levels and saw them through the crown board hole. So fingers crossed .

Hivemaker is right though my hives sit about a foot off the ground and there are no problems with flooding in this area. The hives are situated in what I think is a suitable position and angled slightly forwards so any rainwater should run off. Any rainwater not freely running away and potentially being trapped under the open mesh floors must be minimal as it was raining heavy today and the underneath of the floors were all dry though the outside of the hives were understandably wet. I think the flag stone keeps the hive off the extremely wet ground and offers a stable base. It works for me and as a relative beginner currently attending an intermediate class I am always assessing how I can improve my beekeeping.

I am considering putting another pair of breeze blocks below to raise them slightly higher and not for fear of flooding as I am fairly safe where they are but because I am 6' 5" and its to help my back.

why do people spend hundreds of pounds on bee hive set ups and dont bother with a simple hive stand costing a few quid,

I actually went better in my opinion than buying a simple wooden hive stand that holds my hives off the ground. I made my stands to be more permanent and weather friendly as in they wont blow over. My hives are in an out apiary and off the ground to higher than the 10" Thornes hive stands. The breeze blocks and paving slab give more weight than a wooden stand and I have a ratchet hive strap attached under this and lashed down to the hive. They have all survived without any movement despite numerous winter storms in my area. They have a natural hedge and tree line approx 4 ft behind them running down my hives which gives some help from both wind and rain.

i blew my back to pieces 8 years aog , six months sitting down rolling along, when i did get my self going again, (a scafold pole up a*** and 8 mm bolts) hold it all together, all i do now is instead of waiting till the end of year to strip all the supers i remove them slowly during the year when i want to

Ouch!!! how did you hurt your back Pete sounds painfull. I am prone to disc problems due to an injury at work a few years back and the joys of coming from a family of giants. My younger brother is 6' 8" whilst I am the small child at 6' "5 and a half.

Hi Frogdogdiver,
I use the same materials as you but in a different order:)
50cm square slab set into the ground with a "half bubble" tilt forward on that I have 2 x 50Lx10Wx20cm deep concrete blocks. The OMF sits on the blocks and gives a clear 25cm drop for 90% of the debris/mites.
As you say when strapped to the blocks the colony aint going anywhere.:)
:cheers2: Mike

Latest posts

Back