Friendly breeds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year I've found the bees seem more determined than previous years. If she is still there and laying well, I'd do the same, this is just the bees objecting to change.
I agree, its happened with two of my muckers queen's to. And a couple of my own, it's been a funny year.
I've queen's in mini nucs who don't know what to do the buggers!
I've had now 4 drone layers also.
Atleast swarming has calmed down. Who would be a beekeeper hey!

Symptoms
Conditions such as damp...

Treatment
Avoiding damp apiary sites...

That's my understanding of chalkbrood. Provide better ventilation if you are in an area prone to damp.

Damp is definitely a contributory factor, we are dealing with a fungus, just like house/flats ventilation is also a contributory factors, keeping strong colonies is the best cure, the bees will manage ventilation and clean out infected larva, our obsession with vented floors is not helpful either, to big a subject for a single post but as the soil heats and retains moisture/damp rises, I am sure most of you can work the rest out.

I’m sure there’s several contributing factors, fact remains even in well wooded or damp sites, some queens/colonies are more susceptible. Change the line problem solved. Ian

I agree with Ian. About ten years ago I had a colony from a very dark and shaded apiary and they had chalk brood, which cleared up as the weather improved. I thought the move to their new bright but sheltered site had helped but the chalk brood was back the next season. They cleared up again and it didn't affect their ability, they produced a good crop but the decision was made to replace her.

Latest posts

Back