Friendly breeds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi
We are considering whether to requeen a hive that is a bit defensive - all options are open at the moment and we are trying different ways of handling them etc.
But - if i do go ahead and re-queen, are there particular breeds that have a reputation for being more placid, easygoing than others?

My BS honeybees Buckies are so laid back you could almost get away without PPE. You certainly can do without gloves.But they are a cross not a breed and you have to be careful where you buy them from.
B+ Carnies were lovely to handle but I don’t have them any more
Somebody will be along soon to tell you their black bees roll over when you inspect so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Simple.
Obtain bees from a source who describes bees as "good tempered, calm on comb, non aggressive"

Ask for money back if they are not. (Trades Descriptions etc)

Unfortunately at this time, by the time you know whether they are not good tempered etc - early September - it will be a bit late..
Or if a local vendor, ask to see parent queen hive and how calm they are. (NOT a guarantee of success due to mating genes)

Ignore any source which does NOT describe bees similar to above.

So no, it's not quite that simple.

You started it...
Interesting way to moderate.

verb

/ˈmɒdəreɪt/
  1. 1.
    make or become less extreme, intense, rigorous, or violent.
Slow day?
I’ll second the bs honey buckfasts and there normally very good for availability. In my area the next generation are normally consistent as well, but at that stage I replace with my own. Ian

If you are requeening September is a good time to do it, less chance of rejection.

If they are really nasty I would split the hive and introduce the new queen to half the hive first, with the old queen in the second split above, leave that until your new queen is accepted then ditch the old queen after checking for queen cells, then unit.

And somebody else will be along shortly after to tell you black bees are predisposed to foulbrood!
Never heard that one, although, having quite a few AMM queens myself, I can tell you that they are susceptible to chalkbrood

Maybe you've just been unlucky, me and my mate have been keeping Amm for years and never had a problem,
I've noticed chalkbrood this season on one colony.
It was just a small amount and since then I can't see any more on the inspection board.

None of the colonys at work have it.

Maybe you've just been unlucky, me and my mate have been keeping Amm for years and never had a problem,
Me and many other beekeepers who have observed the same? people with a lot more skill and experience than us and over a series of years not 'just one' It's something you accept and monitor.
Maybe it's just you and your mate who have been amazingly lucky? :rolleyes:

Back