Frequency of inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northants_new

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have read on here during August it is better to leave them alone unless necessary. However is it really a problem to inspect them once a week at this time of the year.

As it is my first year with this hobby I am keen for as much 'hands on' experience as possible, but at the same time I do not want to do any harm.

Tomorrow is forecast to be a nice day and the last such day for some time so I wanted to carry out an inspection. The previous inspection was last Friday so little under one week in between.

Any advice is appreciated...

i'm the same itchin to see how they are doin BUT remember each time we go in we are putting the bees back on the inportant things like getting ready for autum/winter once every 7 day is enough im waiting once every 14 days as long as we can see them flying that should be enough every time a frame is moved they need to propolis it back up time should be spent getting ready for cold times coming
But i know it is frustating on our part i have a camera at my hive and enjoy them in my living room :willy_nilly:

As you should be doing your varroa treatments at the mo- then open up weekly for Apilife or every 10 days for Apiguard. No need to plough through all the frames- risk damaging the queen, but a quick look at one or two may give you handling experience and ensure if queen laying.

Better to lift the back of the hive to estimate weight. If very heavy then all ok for food- if very light start thinking about syrup feed,NOW. But it will give you experience of the weight of a hive before going into winter so you can judge the hive food needs before they go into shutdown.

Thanks for the feedback.
Apiguard ordered but been waiting almost a week for now. I'll wait for that to arrive before opening up again. It is very tempting to be in there every week but I will resist!

Haven't opened mine for a month now. Done swarming. And the ones that say "What about disease?" don't know that disease is usually spotted in spring.

Thanks for the feedback.
Apiguard ordered but been waiting almost a week for now. I'll wait for that to arrive before opening up again. It is very tempting to be in there every week but I will resist!

The thymol in the Apiguard contaminates the honey you may want to extract, so it is advisable to remove any supers first unless you want to use a super as additional B/B at some time - or leave the honey for the bees to eat.

It depends on what's going on in your hive. Everything "normal" then weekly (or more) is fine (by me). Anything abnormal then you may wish to inspect more frequently in order to take whatever action is necessary.

Where are you in Northants (PM if you like), have you joined the local BKA and do you visit the training apiary - if not I strongly recommend both!

With one hive just be extra careful when inspecting, as the more you inspect the greater the risk of squishing the queen.....which could well be the end of the colony as the autumn approaches.

I've been inspecting every week-10 days, I've got my apiguard ready to put in this afternoon so will leave the hives until time to swap treatments. I'll be starting feeding today as well, going to overwinter on BB + 1/2 and they're all a little light on stores. I've been opening them a lot in the last month and doing a lot on manipulating because I've been making up a hive from brood from a few of teh hives and bees from the strongest one, as well as taking out all the old queens and replacing them. They'll probably be glad to be left alone after this:blush5:
Frith

The thymol in the Apiguard contaminates the honey you may want to extract, so it is advisable to remove any supers first unless you want to use a super as additional B/B at some time - or leave the honey for the bees to eat.

i was going to leave the supers on for them this year. I assume it is ok to use the same frames for extraction next year though?

Also, why is it suggested not to feed while treating please?

Latest posts

Back