Freeze, boil or burn?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am still a beginner at this beekeeping lark and find myself with a dozen or so perfectly good frames which I want to put fresh foundation in and re-use. I have scraped them fairly clean but they are not pristine. I can easily freeze them - do I really have to boil them before re-using? I don't have a boiler and think if that is the case then they will just go on the fire, but it seems a shame if they can be recycled.

I have never boiled my frames though have on the odd occasion steamed them if I have enough, otherwise I simply scrape them clean of wax etc, and give them a good dose of acetic acid.
One doesn't need to be overly obsessed with them because if concerned and a responsible beek, any major disease and the sbi will have been called in and the they will be burnt.

Last edited:
Am guessing there from your hives or hive and not from anything that’s died this time of year. Just scrape off bits and re use no need to do more. Ian

I would never use someone else's frames.

Best practice has to be boil / steam & rinse - even if only to rid of propolis and any sticky residue, that would bug the hell out of me & my OCD. As for responsible beeks / disease, if everyone was that knowledgeable we wouldn’t have so much of it.
If in any doubt as said excellent kindling & bulk frames in sales aren’t too extortionate (no comment from Patrick or Barbie Bee required ;) )

Latest posts

Back