FREE SUGAR - Tesco

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
been reading the thread about the cost of sugar and how it has gone up.

so i thought i would put my stigging skills to the test today while at the local tesco extra.

i went in and asked at the customer "non" service desk stood there for 15mins waiting as only one member of staff on and she was on the phone.

asked if they had any damaged bags to be told no they go straight in the bin. so while i was wandering round doing my shopping i asked a member of staff on the shop floor if they had any out the back. was asked why explained what i wanted them for and he said yes how much do you need. i said as much as they has as any i didnt use would pass onto other beeks at meeting tomorrow.

5 mins later out he comes with a box with 15-20kg of tate n lyle gan sugar. all for free and told if wanted any more just ask as it saves dumping it.

so if anyone wants any sugar just ask if they will give it to you its unsaleable so would have to go in bin otherwise, we are being ripped off if we have to pay for it.

always ask when you go in to any supermarket.

:grouphug:

Why didn't you write this yesterday before I went shopping this morning and bought some!!!

Well done, will ask next time.

im known as Stig at work due to the freebees i can get for my school. i have been there 3years and have managed to get :- a shed, greenhouse, 40ft polytunnel, fridgefreezer, dishwasher, 20ft shipping container for storage, 6 mountian bikes, 8 digi slr cameras, £2500 lottery funding for cooking, £10,000 NHS funding for cooking, hozes from hozelock, 20cubic metres of compost, wood, 10cubic metres of woodchip, plants and seeds, thousands of plant pots, £250 from B&Q, £250 of gift vouchers from alan titchmarsh, £50 of gift vouchers from thompson and morgan.

i am hoping to get beekeeping equipment and bees for school next hoping this will be from the coop

its amazing what you can get when you ask.

Why didn't you write this yesterday before I went shopping this morning and bought some!!!

Well done, will ask next time.

I did if you read the thread on it.

Well done!

Like i said, if you explain to the shop floor staff they will bend over backwards for you. Dont ask the manager, ask the shop floor staff.

:cheers2:

im known as Stig at work due to the freebees i can get for my school. i have been there 3years and have managed to get :- a shed, greenhouse, 40ft polytunnel, fridgefreezer, dishwasher, 20ft shipping container for storage, 6 mountian bikes, 8 digi slr cameras, £2500 lottery funding for cooking, £10,000 NHS funding for cooking, hozes from hozelock, 20cubic metres of compost, wood, 10cubic metres of woodchip, plants and seeds, thousands of plant pots, £250 from B&Q, £250 of gift vouchers from alan titchmarsh, £50 of gift vouchers from thompson and morgan.

i am hoping to get beekeeping equipment and bees for school next hoping this will be from the coop

not worthynot worthynot worthynot worthy

Have just written my Christmas list...shall I pm it to you now or later???:biggrinjester:

Do you dress in red and hand stuff out at the end of the Christmas play?

All the best,
Sam

Why didn't you post this last winter before I bought 150 kgs?

Just kidding, thanks for the tip not worthynot worthynot worthynot worthynot worthy .

I imagine it pays to approach the right member of staff as some will go "by the book" and always say no, and others will always try and help.

So went to local Asda a few weeks ago and asked about damaged bags of sugar. Manager said he would get back to me, but never did.

Popped in to see him today, told me he had spoken to his boss etc etc, and couldn't do anything in case someone got poisoned or, wait for it... "a swarm of your bees got poisoning from that sugar which would make us liable".

Didn't know where to begin explaining how wrong that statement was on so many levels so just thanked him and moved on to Sainsbury's, much more receptive...!

I suppose I could go round Costa coffee bars and McDonalds discretely emptying those little sachets into my empty 25kg bag... lol.

J/K - bought 30kgs today to start stocking up for autumn. 2kg bags at Asda for £1.20 if anyone is interested.

someone posted a while back about siting bees on an industrial estate and that it was close to a tip.........."nothing on a tip that would interest bees" was the reply................and now we are being told that all supermarket's dump sugar if the bags are broken.............it wouldn't go to the tip though, would it ???? :)

................and now we are being told that all supermarket's dump sugar if the bags are broken.............it wouldn't go to the tip though, would it ???? :)

No, but the broken jars of AFB infested honey will....

I asked in my local co-op supermarket if they would allow me to buy split bags. The floor staff was interested in what I was asking and popped off to ask the manager.. She came back and said they used them for the staff teas etc and was sorry she couldn'r help. So much for their Bee Campain so, I emailed their head honcho at the Bee Campaign. This is they're reply, incredible!!

'Thank you for your recent request.
The Co-operative Group does not offer sponsorship for individual events or people, it does however operate a Community Fund Scheme which gives financial help to disadvantaged groups in the areas where we trade in the United Kingdom.

On a corporate level the Group also has a Charity of the Year which is fully supported throughout our family of businesses and communicates to the wider world our co-operative values and community concerns. Hundreds of local fundraising events take place in branches, offices and stores during the year long partnership, which in 2009 raised £3.7 million for the RNID. We aim to exceed that amount raising funds for our current Charity of the Year 2011, Mencap.

Unfortunately due to the high volume of requests we receive, we are at present unable to offer assistance to every request and I am sorry if this news disappoints you.

However, I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us and I would like to wish you every success with your chosen project.

IDIOTS

I spoke to Morrisons head office a couple of months back about getting damaged bags put to one side, they ok'ed it and gave me contact details for our local stores, I wrote to them and was informed that it was a head office matter!
After doing the e-mail run around for a couple of weeks I finally got informed by head office - Due to your letter/request it has been highlighted about the amount of waste sugar our stores generate. It has been decided that we will now re-use this product in store.
I will think twice now before I place my order in the cafe, hygene being thier No1 priority.

Tell me your secrets! I spent all Sunday afternoon sending emails to various businesses that have community fund schemes and have had one reply from Sainsburys, but only to send me on to their funds manager, who hasn't bothered to reply yet. Hmph.

Latest posts

Back