Free bees! Bag yourself a colony...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfwhitewizard

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have been out today and removed a colony from an old timber clad building. While I was there the manager told me that pest control company who had been earlier in the day to poison the wasp nest in the opposite timber shed had noticed another colony near the top of the same building...bargain!
I stripped away the cladding and was presented with a lovely full colony - now happily located in a nuc with queen...
Now onto the second colony and heres where you can get yourself a colony with a little bit of work..
I have done some of the work to remove the cladding and expose some of the comb but it really requires two people to remove some the t&g from the inside to expose the rest of the comb. As I have already gained a colony I thought there might be a new beek or someone short of a colony near to us who is free tomorrow a.m. and would like to give me a hand and the get a colony for free.
Let me know by PM and I will give details.
The colony is in Kent and it will be a fairly early start 8 a.m.

Sadly too far away from me too.
But it sounds as if it will be a fun adventure for someone :)

I'd love to come and help, but before having ANY experience at all with bees, I think they may stand a better chance with the pest control officer ;-)

If you could wait until Saturday morning, I'd give it a go if no one safer is up for it.

FG - Thanks for the offer but without disclosing the location of the colonies as there is another left after this one I have to be there on site when the manager is at work and they only work Mon - Friday and I am also doing queen raising on Saturday with other beeks at one of my colonies, which you are more than welcome to come along to and have a go at grafting, so unfortunately its tomorrow i'm afraid.

I have posted some of this colony in the album just trying to work out how to get them on here ?

picture.php

How do you go about moving a feral colony with wild comb? (Without damaging brood.) Would really appreciate advice, just in case ...

QB - A tricky procedure as you can imagine I stood for quite a while admiring all the hard work they have put into it. I revealed all the comb and gently removed the far right hand side comb to allow me to get into the next piece and with the nuc on the floor below I cut away the 1st piece with a sharp craft knife and placed it in the nuc. I worked across the combs but cut just below the stores (top of pics) and again checked for the queen before placing into the nuc. It was really hard not to crush any bees or comb with my fingers and surprisingly the bees were good tempered...
This whole procedure took me over 2 hours from start to finish.
So my advice have plenty of tools to hand crowbar, hammer, nuc, bee brush, spare empty clean buckets (stores, comb etc.) and no rushing...
Tomorrows a bit more tricky as the second colony has found itself between the roof and ceiling and extends along way into the roof space. I estimate the length of each comb to be about 3 feet in length. I will take some pics and upload them when I get back.
As for the 3rd colony the willow tree will have to come down just to get to them...

So you were just placing the comb in the nuc box, not wiring it somehow into frames? Doesn't it all end up in a mangled pile?

Look forward to seeing the photos - will they appear in this thread?

So you were just placing the comb in the nuc box, not wiring it somehow into frames? Doesn't it all end up in a mangled pile?

Look forward to seeing the photos - will they appear in this thread?

Sounds like you and me both have made that mistake in the past ;)

no, it wasnt it a mangled pile. I didnt wire them to frames I will be transferring this to another brood box when i site it the apiary. I have placed the comb upright with space between each comb. Hence the reason I removed the heavy stores leaving a small amount of stores, pollen and mainly brood in the nuc. Its a temporary measure as the manager wanted to have the whole lot destroyed!!!
I am fending him off killing the colony in the roof, hence the reason i need to go back tomorrow and get the second colony out...

I'd love to come and help, but before having ANY experience at all with bees, I think they may stand a better chance with the pest control officer ;-)

If you could wait until Saturday morning, I'd give it a go if no one safer is up for it.

Although is probably too late, I would also be happy to pop down on Saturday. And if Firegazer wants experience, I could give him a lift!! :cheers2:

Thanks, Pete - would have been great. I think the Bee Wizard is on too tight a schedule, unfortunately :(

Maybe next time?

I've got a motor and diesel - it's just the beehive, bee suit, skills and any experience that I'm short of ;-)

Thanks, Pete - would have been great. I think the Bee Wizard is on too tight a schedule, unfortunately :(

Maybe next time?

I've got a motor and diesel - it's just the beehive, bee suit, skills and any experience that I'm short of ;-)

Dont fret, those things will come in time.

The bit about 'Bee Wizard' made me chuckle - Ive a feeling thats gonna stick!!! lol!!:p

success! hard work 4 hours later and alot of sweat and tears! but they are all out....mind you cant say the building looks all that pretty now more like swiss cheese!!!! on to more important things like hanging the washing out as per instructions....but side tracked and now checked the Apideas and have 7 newly emerged queens.

The bit about 'Bee Wizard' made me chuckle - Ive a feeling thats gonna stick!!! lol!!:p

Ditto. :laughing-smiley-014 Wonder what other 'nicknames' forum members use to refer to other members in private as it were.

Still the idea of sharing /experiencing collecting a swarm with a fellow beek is good. Would also like to watch an experienced beek doing this should the opportunity ever arise. :Angel_anim:

bee-smillie

Back