Free bee colony for an experienced beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have kept bees for the last five years, I keep my hive in a friends garden in New Cross, South East London. I bought the current colony from a contact in East London last spring, they are a strong hive but they been very aggressive of late to the point where my friends do not want them in their garden anymore. I do not want to give up on them and think that they can be saved by an experienced beekeeper, however, I have recently lost confidence in them after a few scares. I would not want to pass on an aggressive colony to another beekeeper, but I anticipate numbers are fairly low as it is February. It would be a good time to change the mood/genes of the hive with some interference by an experienced beekeeper. I would be interested to hear from anyone that may want to take the colony from me.

Its way too early to re queen them with a more gentle strain of bees, you would have to wait until May/June to get any decent queens from reputable dealers. Then I would consider splitting them into two smaller colonies (Nucs) to re queen them, then it would take at least 6 weeks to see then end of the nasty bees. This is what I would be tempted to do, I have a similar hive and thats what I am going to do.

Thank you for your comment. My friends garden is not large and they don't have space for me to do this. Plus they do not want them in their garden anymore. That is why I am looking for a home for them.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comment. My friends garden is not large and they don't have space for me to do this. Plus they do not want them in their garden anymore. That is why I am looking for a home for them.

The problem with 'nasty' bees no one wants then in their garden, our hive starts to attack you when you get within 15' of them, lucky they are in an out apiary. I home you can find a place to put them and then you can sort them out.

It's helpful to have extra space, good luck with requeening. I appreciate I am appealing to the brave hearted, hopefully it's not in vain. Thanks

Hi EricA, I'm based in South London. If you know of anyone please let me know. Best wishes, Robert

Hello Robert,
I'm not far from you in Eltham if your stuck PM me

I have kept bees for the last five years, I keep my hive in a friends garden in New Cross, South East London. I bought the current colony from a contact in East London last spring, they are a strong hive but they been very aggressive of late to the point where my friends do not want them in their garden anymore. I do not want to give up on them and think that they can be saved by an experienced beekeeper, however, I have recently lost confidence in them after a few scares. I would not want to pass on an aggressive colony to another beekeeper, but I anticipate numbers are fairly low as it is February. It would be a good time to change the mood/genes of the hive with some interference by an experienced beekeeper. I would be interested to hear from anyone that may want to take the colony from me.

Man up and take them knickers of Robert. Yes you have aggressive bees but there's ways of dealing with them instead of throwing the towel in. If its possible, find another location for your bees. If you do decide to give away your bees, you'll regret it when the suns out shining and you've no beehives to open or even no honey when its harvest time.

Unless it's very large, a garden is not in my opinion the place to keep bees. At some time they are going to get peed off and cause problems.
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've sent you a pm. Happy to help!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hi Daraco, I have contacted Tevja who lives nearby to where the bees are, plus he was the first to pm me. If he and I can't work out a meet up. I'll be happy to offer them to you. Can I keep you posted? Robert

Man up and take them knickers of Robert. Yes you have aggressive bees but there's ways of dealing with them instead of throwing the towel in. If its possible, find another location for your bees. If you do decide to give away your bees, you'll regret it when the suns out shining and you've no beehives to open or even no honey when its harvest time.

Rubbish,

Not everyone is happy to work an agressive hive. I have one in one of my out Apiaries and know the feeling having waves of bees bouncing off your veil in intense attack mode every time you go near them. In my case they are located reasnobly far away from others and I have plans to requeen them this year although they are fantastic re yield of honey.

Also as clearly stated the Bees " Landlords " clearly do not want them there.

So nothing to do with " Manning Up " Bulls***t ! :hairpull:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back