Frantic Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K2plu1941

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Just starting my second year as a Beekeeper - What's happening to my bees, twice yesterday 12.30 and 17.30 ish for about 30 mins the bees went frantic, clustering over the front of the hive, circling overhead over 10 to 15 mts radius, inside the hive the bees on the frames where rushing around like mad really agitated, I gave the bees some water mist and eventually on both occasions they eventually calmed down. my wife got stung close to the house when about 10 bees gathered around her - was it the weather. are they thinking about swarming, would it help to turn frames around to the cold way. Your thoughts welcome

They are trying to swarm, but for some reason the queen is not leaving the hive, has she had her wings clipped? Check your hive for queen cells ASAP. If you find them cut them out if you dont want a 2nd hive or artificially swarm them.

Sounds like swarm behaviour, sometimes they have a couple of goes at it. As a rule they don't sting when they are in swarm mode. Don't open the hive when this is happening. Wait for a quiet moment and go into your hive to look for swarm cells. At this time in your bee career you should know how you are going to deal with swarms. If you are going to AS them then have the equipment all ready. Stay calm and get on with the job methodically.
This will happen every year so good luck with your first try.
Having said that if a storm was around that will set them off too. Then they WILL sting!

We have had quite a few play swarms here - but as soon as they were given space they stopped playing and got to work!

Sounds like swarm as others have said,,,but never known anyone getting stung

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Hi it could be young bees going on a orientation flight which they do.

Another possibility is mating flights- were they mainly drones that were going in and and out?
I've also seen similar activity upto 3-4m over the hives with young bees going on 'first flight'. That is what I presume they are doing- they seen to come our in a large group circle around for 20 mins then go back in.
Alec

Latest posts

Back