Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildflower 123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just starting out, I ordered Paynes frames, for my standard national polyhives.
I have spent a few pleasant hours making the frames, had a handful of write offs along the way haha.
Which frames do you find the best and why, and where do you get them from?

Most of the major bee equipment suppliers have regular sales when they sell seconds - usually in packs of 50 around the £30 - £35 price although with the price of timber going up I expect they will increase in price. Most of the seconds seem to be fairly reasonable quality -I've never bought first quality since the first few I bought and I've never had a problem. Avoid mixing up parts from different suppliers though as they don't all fit ...

50 may seem like a lot of frames to buy when you are just starting out but you will find you need them ... and more other equipment than you contemplated as well.

Looking back through a few years of invoices I can't believe how many frames I've bought or account for where they all are.
Maisemore seconds-their wax also fits perfectly or old castle for luxury foundation
Yes yes yes ... there is a black hole somewhere that swallows up not made up frames and then, as soon as you order some more. they reappear - until the next time you need them when they are back in the matrix !

Most of the major bee equipment suppliers have regular sales when they sell seconds - usually in packs of 50 around the £30 - £35 price although with the price of timber going up I expect they will increase in price. Most of the seconds seem to be fairly reasonable quality -I've never bought first quality since the first few I bought and I've never had a problem. Avoid mixing up parts from different suppliers though as they don't all fit ...

50 may seem like a lot of frames to buy when you are just starting out but you will find you need them ... and more other equipment than you contemplated as well.
So do I have to keep getting paynes frames now I have their hives?

No, anyone's should be fine. Frame parts from different vendors may not fit together though, so trying to use side bars from vendor A on a top bar from vendor B isn't reliable.

James

No but it helps to get the same type of frame, i.e. Hoffman spacing or plastic spacers. There are different styles of frame that all do the same thing. Read the Thornes catalogue that explains it in some detail

No .. any national frames will fit any national hive - it's just the frame parts from different frame suppliers are not always mix and match ... I've done it but you sometimes need a craft knife to adjust the joints a bit,

** Looks like I was beaten to the keyboard !

Latest posts

Back