Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMIE

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi New to all this but have nearly built my hive but was wondering if the frames have to go a certain way? width ways or lenght?Does it matter.
Is ther any whhere I can get some cheap varroa mesh?What size mesh hole canI go up to? Thanks in advance Jamie

Jamie, assuming a national, if the frames go front to back (entrance being front) then deemed 'cold'. Side to side deemed 'warm' I dont think it make much differnece especially if you are intending to use a mesh floor then frame orientation accademic ACCEPT ... place them in the brood box in such a way that you can gain best frame handling and inspection access from the side of the hive you choose to work from

As far as mesh is concerned, galvanised drawn 3-4mm, 18" squares about £3.50 + postage. Thornes as always a bit more but a good starting point, not actually bought any myself (got floor kits for £15 a piece)

Thank you for your advice.

Jamie, assuming a national, if the frames go front to back (entrance being front) then deemed 'cold'. Side to side deemed 'warm' I dont think it make much differnece especially if you are intending to use a mesh floor then frame orientation accademic ACCEPT ... place them in the brood box in such a way that you can gain best frame handling and inspection access from the side of the hive you choose to work from

As far as mesh is concerned, galvanised drawn 3-4mm, 18" squares about £3.50 + postage. Thornes as always a bit more but a good starting point, not actually bought any myself (got floor kits for £15 a piece)
I'd agree with this.

I am currently moving my hives to a more practical and accessible site for me to work the hives and I will be moving them from warm way to cold, as this is the way now which will be most practical for me.

Does it make much of an impact to the bees if I make this change at this point in the season??

Poly Langstroths/Langstroths force cold way be design. That's good for me. Remain consistent is the advice I give, the rest is probably personal preference.

Thought warm way was frames front to back (entrance front) and cold way side to side. :confused:

Thought warm way was frames front to back (entrance front) and cold way side to side. :confused:

It all depends on which way you look :)

If you're standing in front of your hive, looking in the entrance, then:

cold way - frames make vertical stripes, i.e they run front to back.

warm way - frames make horizontal stripes, i.e they run from side to side.

The 'cold' in the name comes from the idea that cold air blowing in the entrance can get down the gaps between every frame more easily.

I work warm way because of the area my hives are in,it makes it easy for me to work from behind the hives.

I have a couple of hives cold way in another Apiary and noticed that warm way hives tend to keep wasps out better ?

Admin, You may have a point about wasps. One of the advantages of warm way is supposed to be all the guard bees will be sitting on the frame nearest the entrance so if you leave that until last to be removed you may have an easier time if the bees are tetchy. So perhaps they line up along the bottom of the first frame and can deter wasps better that way?

It's not a issue with my Langstroth hives as champagne bottles* are taller than they are wide so the box is rectangular and they come cold way or not at all.

*Obscure reference to the rumour that the Rev L made his first hives from old champagne cases. It's cheap Spanish Cava for me and they come in cardboard boxes.**

**I wonder if a paint like Duck's Back would work on cardboard?

Latest posts

Back