Frames orientation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Just about to have a sort out of my frames on new hives and I was wondering what the best way is for orientation to the door? Is there an agreed view on this?

Also, should queen excluders run the same way as the frames?

Thanks for any help.

Jez

It is better do as you have in standardizized hive.
If you have screened bottom, ventilation changes according the wind.

Hi jez,
Your question provokes passonate answers whenever it is asked.
My opinion is that it doesn't matter a jot :),
I have seen enough natural comb produced to realise that bees build comb in all sorts of direction reference to the entrance !
I had a wild colony build in a squirrel box, the comb was built at 45 degrees to the entrance and included the odd cul-de-sac :svengo:.
QX should I think (especially in a bottom space hive),should be placed at 90 degrees to the direction of the frames as the slots would be largley obscured by the top bars if aligned with them. This in a top space hive wouldn't matter as the bee space would allow free passage anyway , unless of course you have the old fashiond pierced type (they would settle on top of frames in the middle )

Cheers John Wilkinson

Thanks, that what I thought, I have lines them up running front to back anyway - same a Nuc boxes :) QX are the slotted type and I think I need to make these 90' as you say, bottom space have here.

Cheers

That cold way and warm way are mere rubbish.

British beehive structure is totally cold. Orientation of frames does not make heat.

Invent something else reasonable.

I go warm way because it seems to suite my back better when moving box's when working from behind.a
Also I dont have to keep leaning across the hive to lift a frame.

I go warm way because it seems to suite my back better when moving box's when working from behind.a
Also I dont have to keep leaning across the hive to lift a frame.

I must admit I thought of those as sound reasons myself, however at present I figured that a NUC box goes one way only so I would match that across the hives.

Makes no difference jezd,the best way is what works for you.

As it probably doesn't matter to start with, then is it ok to change later?

I'm moving a colony into a new hive and want to change from cold to warm, is that ok?

Thanks
Rob

Back