Frames & Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teebeeaitch

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Sorry in case you missed the tail end of my last post on 30th July. I was asking if anyone would care to give an opinion as to why they think frames and foundation are of benefit to the bee?
Thanks again.

They help the bees put the comb where the beekeeper wants it to be, and so that it works properly in his extractor. Obvious really. :)

Last edited:
You asked (30th July). There was no reply. I would suspect that there was a dearth of people who wanted to get into an argument.

My view: TBHs are a good concept. Everyone to their own, as long as not detrimental to the existence of others. A comparison might be that not everyone wants to be vegetarian (it is their choice) and so those veggies or vegans, while being able to follow their particular 'religion' should not be imposing their arguments where not wanted. Other examles might be: Oxen were not evolved for draft work for humans; camels were not evolved as animals of burden for desert dwellers. The list could go on, but I will finish there.

Take a break, do your own thing. Doubtless you would get the answers you want on the appropriate forum.

RAB

I would think that frames and foundation give the bees a better starting point than an empty box. As for the design/shape of the frame I would imagine that would be more of a benefit to the bee keeper rather than the bees. The bee space is more relevant to the keeper than the bees but if the correct space is adhered to there will be less brace comb built therefore less work done by the bees which in turn will yield more honey.

Sorry in case you missed the tail end of my last post on 30th July. I was asking if anyone would care to give an opinion as to why they think frames and foundation are of benefit to the bee?
Thanks again.

Benefit to bee? - a stupid view I would say. What is good to me is good to bees too.

Movable frame:

- breeding and scanging queens - more honey - more money. More money - more honeys.

- extracting - reuse of combs. If you destroy cells every time (like in comb honey) 50% of yiled will go into building new combs.

- founcation - old wax and capping wax recycling. 1 kg wax = 8 kg honey.

- disease control

- over all hive shecking, like quality of queen, disease, swarming, is queen present, nice to look and wonder things.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back