Frame storage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigavonb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
what is the best way to store and protect brood frames from wax moths

I use either Certan or 80% acetic acid

As Drex and Hivemaker. Maximum number of frames per box, boxes pulled tightly together to avoid any gaps. Mine stay outside, so no problem in the cold months. Occasionally burning sulphur strips is recommended, if at all not sure of proper sealing, if the weather is mild.

RAB

How long do you leave them in there Erica? I thinking of buying a big chest freezer for mine.

Does the long term exposure to freezing conditions affect the wood or wax do you think

I leave them till the day before they are needed. I don't freeze wooden supers though. All the frames go into custom made racks( to maximise space)
Freezing does make the wax brittle, while it is frozen only.
I make up cut comb and that goes into the freezer till needed as well.
You can never have too much freezer space ;)

No :)
I keep only the good ones and the ones with a significant amount of pollen.There are only 8 in there.
Unfortunately.......or maybe fortunately......most of the usable ones are still in use.
Looks like i'll be going into winter with 7 colonies instead of the 4 planned. I must be more disciplined regarding the queens I keep. The one queen I have to get rid of lives in a BIG angry colony which I found too intimidating to deal with this summer so will do it in the spring when there are fewer bees.

Back