Frame Sterilisation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello sir. Please I have a question. I recently started processing one comb in a Burco . I am concerned about the waste water. Do you simply tip it down the drain? If not, how do you process it?
thanks
Rob
Not one comb……….but old comb

I always worry that any wax that melts will freeze in the drain and block it.

Beeswax is soft... Except when it is not. Ever tried squeezing a solid brick of the stuff?

Plumbers / builders use the smallest pipes they can get away with. Round here, the entire street's waste flows down a pipe about as wide as my puny arm. I know, because I've had to pay £££ to get it unblocked when people flush stupid things like wet wipes. I've tried clearing fat blockages down the kitchen pipes with alkali and boiling water - but it freezes in winter and you need to resort to mechanical scraping.

So I would caution against flushing fluids containing wax down a domestic drain.

I use boiling washing soda, the boiling action really helps to clean the frames. I then let it go cold, use a sieve to removing floating wax and pour it down the drain.
Im not sure its cost effective with e small quantity I clean .
I'm looking for a 2nd hand Burco heater as the barrel I've got is too large.

I just use a solar melter. That does the lot and I get to keep the wax. I put my frames in a fine mesh bag that keeps the crap but let's the wax out. Sterilises the frames. Quick scrape and ready to go again. When the bag of crap is full I throw it away. I don't see the point of boiling water up when the sun can do the job through a sheet of glass!

If you have a lot to do, consider removing the top off of a 45 gallon drum and using a bottled gas ring burner underneath it.
:iagree: I found this to work really well and really cheaply.

Latest posts

Back