Frame spacing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colmax21

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,
I have seen recently on television on a couple of occasions, beekeepers, opening their hives up and the frames are perfectly drawn, no bulges in the comb or anything, perfect, what is the secret ?
I use hoffman frames and keep them tight and feel that the spacing may be a little large, am I correct.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Colin.

I am not aware of smaller spacings than Hoffman it sounds as though your bees do things a bit different they are never the same, we try to make them do things in straight lines but in the natural environment they do what works for them.

Hi,
A guy has just rang me and said he uses narrow ends on one frame then a frame with no end on then another frame with a narrow spacer on and so on, he says the bees have no choice but keep the cells perfectly drawn, he has used the system for years with great results.

Thanks,
Colin.

Hi,
A guy has just rang me and said he uses narrow ends on one frame then a frame with no end on then another frame with a narrow spacer on and so on, he says the bees have no choice but keep the cells perfectly drawn, he has used the system for years with great results.

Thanks,
Colin.

so he uses 14 frames per box?

spacers width etc

wides end on 47mm (8 per box plus dummy)
wides staggered 35mm ( 11 per box plus dummy or is it 12
wides+everyother Narrow end on 42mm (9 plus dummy, ten very tight)
Narrow 37mm end on (11 per box plus dummy)
narrow staggered 29mm (?? 14 per box)
Hoffman 35mm ( 11 per box or a tight 12 per box)

10 castles 42mm
9 castles 46.5 mm
Cushmans 13 castles 32mm (for 4.9mm foundation)

:hat:Colmax21,

He will get nicely finished comb but he will get b****r all in the way of honey per super like that - too many bee spaces and too short cells. A good way to start them but then they need spacing. The cappings can always be cut back, when extracting, to keep them level and even.

Next question : was he referring to supers or to his brood too?:hat:

Regards, RAB

Hi,
No, only the brood chamber, the supers were started on narrow spacing then moved on to the wide spacers.
I will ask this guy later if after the brood frames were spaced and drawn perfectly he then adjusted the spacing to narrow ends right through the brood chamber, I will let you all know.
Thanks,
Colin.

Hi,
No, only the brood chamber, the supers were started on narrow spacing then moved on to the wide spacers.
I will ask this guy later if after the brood frames were spaced and drawn perfectly he then adjusted the spacing to narrow ends right through the brood chamber, I will let you all know.
Thanks,
Colin.

Swarms will draw frames out perfectly straight. If you are using 14 x 12, it's essential to add additional horizontal support wires if you want them straight. Basically, I find you get straight comb when you use a shook swarm, or a swarm to draw all the frames in just a few days. Colonies that build up (such as a nuc for example), drawing just one comb at a time tend not to be so perfect.

Adam

Not many straight lines in nature! My supers appear as works of art, sweeping curves everywhere. I'm going to see if going from 11 to 9 frame castellations lets me mix fat with thin frames to even up the thickness. However, in the back of my mind I'm sure the arty-bees will do something surprising.

Back