Frame spacing help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
When you are taliking about frame spacing do you refer to the foundation to the foundation ?

doesnt really matter what you refer to as long it is the same reference point on a frame to the same reference point on the next frame usually 1 3/8" in the brood box. Think before asking questions its obvious really.

When you are taliking about frame spacing do you refer to the foundation to the foundation ?

no and yes

the smaller blue spacers i sent you on frames keep the mid points between frames at 37mm ( thats the same as foundation to foundation )but is the mid point between that is normally measured frames

the wide spacers i sent you keep them 41mm apaprt end on to end on or 37mm apart stagered...see photo

you use them end on for honey storage and staggered for drawing supers frames

Last edited:
Thanks MM
So can you move the frames any wider than those spacers ?
And if so why ?
Also is it a case of have them all staggerd or all end to end or is there any other arrangement

I will asnswer as he is offline.
If you spaced any wider the bees would draw brace comb between frames.

For brood rearing you stagger for honey production you go end to end*

*This is only for the wide spacers,most beeks buy brood spacers for brood.

Brood spacers @ 1" 7/16
Super spacers @ 1" 7/8

Ok think i understand now , buy plastic spacers :)
Thanks all

Also is it a case of have them all staggerd or all end to end or is there any other arrangement

Admin has answered part one

I normally start with 8 or 9 frames staggered with wide dummys either side he box ,

A wide dummy is in the box with the arrows that point to the flat side on the dummy, the other side has hoffman spacers ( to stop me crushing bees)

As the bees start drawing i change to end on end those that are drawn out...until all are drawn and i can remove first one then both wide dummys. and when all end on end i insert a narrow dummy just 9mm wide ( there is a14x12 such dummy on the table in the picture, just a sheet of 9mm ply and 9mm wide stick as a bar)

if you start end on end the bees do not draw out as fast and you also get uneven comb,. the like a compact nest etc

Last edited:
Do you keep the narrow dummy in all the time ?
Why use a dummy when you can get more frames in ?

Do you keep the narrow dummy in all the time ?
Why use a dummy when you can get more frames in ?

1) the flat surface of the dummy has to be agianst the comb frame to give 8mm ish bee space. this means they draw and fill nice even comb. if you dont then they biuld brace comb and it is stickthe comb frame to the wall and when you try to remove the comb frame it is pulled apart and honey goes every where

if you have a dummy braced to the wall, then you just clean it up

2) propolis (pine resin) collected by bees sticks every down, you have to yank hard with the j end of the hive tool to lever out a frame, especialy the fiirst fram...so it is easy to lever out a dummy as if you damage it,then comb and honey dont go everywhere

i inspected a old hive last year, we broke every frame trying to get them out

Dummy

Some have them, others are brought up without!

If you don't want extra frames drawn that is one way to avoid it. Personally I like all the frames drawn that I can get so I have plenty and can discard any that become mis-shapened or damaged, or whatever. Choice is take them out as they are spaced out, or space them out as MM does, or leave them narrow.

Super frames can be widened and widened and will contain much more honey per frame, but often need cutting back to the frame (at some point) in the season. Bees will build brace comb if they are too wide apart at any point (and that will make things a little difficult) but I like big, full frames - even if I need to load my extractor more carefully to avoid imbalance problems.

Start simple and refine your techniques as you gain experience of your equipment. Start narrow. Trying to run before you can walk will likely lead to a fall, from which you may find difficult to recover, by the end of your first season(s).

Regards, RAB

looks like Bees invented NoNails lol.

OK thanks again , i'll get back down the shed and make a few dummys up :)

Latest posts

Back