Frame spacing and size of drones.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually there is no link or scientific evidence, just our observations. So why ask for it?

OK, I give up!
No more input from me. I have better things to do.
Thank you!

I asked for it because it seemed to me to be such a counter-intuitive statement.. It would be a shame if someone of your gravitas were to abandon the forum on the basis of not wanting to be asked a type of question which is regularly demanded of people who make statements on this forum; often in a much more passive-aggressive way than I did. :)
As someone on the periphery of the beekeeping world, I was not aware of the fact that you may have had a reasonable amount of experience in this sphere ;).

I would prefer observations from a beekeeper on the same planet as me and preferably the same area of the world rather than someone halfway round the world breeding who knows what. These types of observations should be encouraged and discussed, it will help us all understand bees……..no mater how long you have kept bees or how many there is always something to learn.

I would prefer observations from a beekeeper on the same planet as me and preferably the same area of the world rather than someone halfway round the world breeding who knows what
So the thousand or so miles to Italy is OK then?

I was watching a video by BIBBA, in which Tony Jefferson said that with Hoffman frames you don't get "full-sized" drones. . For those of us who want hunky drones to be produced, that is a less than ideal outcome. I can see the logic if two drone cells were on opposing combs and their cells were directly aligned. But bees are presumably cleverer than that

I'm assuming that his claim is anecdotal as I haven't encountered if before. I promise that I have thought about it before asking. Does anyone have an opinion about this?

Sorry for the stupid question ;).

Sounds stupid. Bees draw such size drone cells as they want. If you give a free soace to the hive in the bottom of frame, drone brood is in one place and not here and there.

Sounds stupid. Bees draw such size drone cells as they want. If you give a free soace to the hive in the bottom of frame, drone brood is in one place and not here and there.

As I said "presumably, bees are cleverer than that?"

I would prefer observations from a beekeeper on the same planet as me and preferably the same area of the world rather than someone halfway round the world breeding who knows what. These types of observations should be encouraged and discussed, it will help us all understand bees……..no mater how long you have kept bees or how many there is always something to learn.
Perhaps you would, Patrick.
I’m sure you know exactly what Roger breeds.
We have beekeepers from Australia, New Zealand, Tasmania, The Philippines, Thailand and South Africa as well as all over Europe as members. Are you suggesting these people don’t post?
It’s a credit to this great forum that we can all indulge our beekeeping experiences from all over the world.

(to whom I have now sent a sort of apology and explanation).

Now that my full posting has been edited by a moderator, seen out of context it may be thought that I accept that have said something wrong or inflammatory.
To be clear, I was unaware that I was questioning the experiences of someone who carries an amount of respect in the beekeeping community.

Now that my full posting has been edited by a moderator, seen out of context it may be thought that I accept that have said something wrong or inflammatory.
To be clear, I was unaware that I was questioning the experiences of someone who carries an amount of respect in the beekeeping community.
This may appear contradictory to my earlier posts but it isn't, previously I pointed out my oppinion of Norton's posts - which I always appreciate but.... it never hurts to ask questions and I don't actually see why anyone should be off limits, how else do we find stuff out....

Latest posts

Back