Frame making

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just made up a batch of SN1's from thornes sale. just need to put my (KBS) foundation and the wedge bar, and last bottom bar in
so far looks like 44 usable out of 50, so i guess thats not too bad?
mostly the side bars that were the problem with knots at the nailing points.

Have just done 50 of 50 - if the knots in an awkward place then I put 2 pins either side- dont lose a frame. Only had 3 dodgy ones though. Part of the new out apiary stock - Only 3 hives to go....

MrB,

Yep, even if you need to drill a small pilot hole for the nails (to avoid splitting the knot).

The only ones I am wary of are ones with knots in the lugs. I reckon I have only lost about 1% of Thorne seconds when putting them together and most of the parts are usable elsewhere anyway.

You are just too picky, a perfectionist, or what? When they are completely drawn, most defects will be unimportant, especially in SN1s. As long as they will stand your spinner they will do. I only worry about the 14 x 12s which are heavy. Supers are little to worry with. Oh, and if using castellations they might need a little more careful selection.

Regards, RAB

MrB,

Yep, even if you need to drill a small pilot hole for the nails (to avoid splitting the knot).

RAB

i thought about that (after the event! :( )

You are just too picky, a perfectionist, or what?

Yep, you are right :), i guess with this being my first year i just want everything as good as it can be. (yeah, i know, should have bought firsts then!)
Oh, and if using castellations they might need a little more careful selection.

Regards, RAB

No, i am using plastic spacers.

anyway, its all good fun and part of the learning curve i guess :)

:cheers2:

Back