frame grips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
mornin all
the other week a buddy gave me some frame grips to use on inspections,should i or should i not ?? use em

NO,they are ok if you have Langstroth etc frames with short ends but you should not need them for Nationals.

Why on earth would you want a frame grip for Langstroth?

Assuming (yes I know totally damn fatal comment) your fingers are fully functional and you have a normal hive tool then that's all that is required.

PH

NO,they are ok if you have Langstroth etc frames with short ends but you should not need them for Nationals.
I run both 14x12 {long lugs} and Langstroths {short lugs} and if anything I find the shorter lugs easier to work with , and much less likely to inadvertently trap a bee with my fingers thereby justifiably getting a sting! The long-lug=easy handling thingy "made sense" when I took up beekeeping, and I apprached the short lugs with a degree of trepidation ... 'imagine my surprise' when I found how easy the Langstroths were! I don't use frame grips.

in the bin they go then

Why? Are you a minimalist? If you are, beekeeping will probably prove a bit fractious!

They have their uses. With a colony that uses propolis like it's going out of fashion those of us who do wear gloves might find them useful. I wear gloves to prevent those occasional mishaps (squashed bees and stings) because the subsequent swelling is a nuisance.

I have a frame grip. Dont often use it but it sometimes makes the gloves soooo much easier to keep clean or get clean. At the moment it lives under the colony that gunks everything with propolis.

Short or long lugs, I always gently lever the frame to one side before removal (except the first, of course) and not on the lug.

You will find your most comfortable way of frame removal. It might include a frame grip, but probably not.

Regards, RAB

ive got my first inspection commin up soon so ill give them ago,if i dont like em ill sell them to u dr nick

Back