frame\Foundation - Super Storage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

Apologies if this has been asked countless times.

What is the best way of storing dry frames with honey removed (and letting the bees finish the job!), and frames with new foundation made up.

I would presume, cool dry and airy protected from mice and moths!?!

Cheers
Pete

You presume correctly.

Ethanoic acid, sulphur candles, freezer treatment are possibilities to keep wax moth at bay.

In addition, I try not to have frames made up with foundation for long periods. I find it is far better stored flat in plastic bags/envelopes until needed.

Regards, RAB

supers sandwiched with varroa mesh??

or can they get in tiny places?

where do you get sulpher candles?? and what are they? do they just sit in with the frames are are they lit periodically!? (don't laugh!!! i have no idea!!)

supers sandwiched with varroa mesh??

Where did that come from on this thread? Varroah mesh might be ideal to keep out mice but not wax moth. Frames need to be in reasonably air-tight container to fumigate.

sulphur candles

Look on the Thorne website under medicines, fumigants - they have sulphur strips.

Candles are an alternative to strips. Plenty of fumigants if the web is searched, I would think. Just nothing cheap and handy for a few frames.

Just remember sulpur dioxide dissolved in water is an acid, so nails and screws need protecting. Breathing in the fumes is definitely not healthy. Remember each kilo of drawn wax in your comb is worth about 5kg of honey, so is worth preserving carefully.
I reckon an old freezer is ideal for storing a 'few supers (or broods) worth' of frames. But remember brood comb may be better treated with ethanoic acid for other nasties at some point before re-use.

Regards, RAB

Foundation left in frames will lose some scent and will over time(one year plus) become brittle and stale,yet wax moth are not to keen on attacking foundation,its the drawn comb they are after.

Back