Fox Gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenw

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

Was wondering are honey bees keen on fox gloves?

Ahhh thats ok. Do you know of anything other plants that honey bees would be interested that would be colourful like fox gloves?

Thanks

Try these

Borage will self seed beautifully
Goldenrod
Aliums are good for late flowering
Lemon Balm
Phacelia bees love it and it self seeds too
Asters long lasting autumn colour
Clover….white not red, honey bee tongue is too short though bumbles will love both colours
Cornflowers flower all summer well into autumn if you dead head
Lavender
Mint
Opium Poppy… you can seed this easily. Just buy cooking poppy seeds from the supermarket and throw them willy nilly, not just in your garden.
Sunflowers

Brilliant thanks for all your help everyone

I assume that they flower a bit early for bees to capitalise on them. The bees are probably still clustering when snow drops flower in January/February.

Ben P
Not so.
At least not down in these parts anyway.
I have seen bees flying on Xmas eve.

Snowdrops are an invaluable source of early pollen if the bees can get out to them.
apissnowdrop.jpg

At least not down in these parts anyway.
I have seen bees flying on Xmas eve.

Not just so in your neck of the woods either!

Chistmas Eve before last was when I saw bees taking in pollen up her ein Lincolnshire.

They had been very active (for the time of the year!) on two of the previous three days, as well, although I did not go and look for the evidence (of pollen) on the winter solstice (saw it on the 22nd).

Regards, RAB

I will be planting atlantic giant pumpkins later on in year I understand you would need a huge plantation to make it worth while for the bees ha ha.

TTYL

Steve

I will be planting atlantic giant pumpkins later on in year I understand you would need a huge plantation to make it worth while for the bees ha ha.

TTYL

Steve

good for bumbles, never seen bees on any of the pumpkins.

but 'poached egg plant' is well visited by honeybees

Good thread, have slowly been realising that my garden is more bumble bee friendly than Honey Bee friendly, better start planning/planting before my girls arrive!

Latest posts

Back