Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mabearch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I am fairly new to bee keeping (about a year) with now 2 national hives.
I have noticed that my bees prefer "premier" foundation obtained from my local supplier rather than "standard" foundation from a national supplier.
They are reluctant to draw out the "standard" if "premier" is around fussy lot!
I wonder, do others have the same experience?

Hi
I have noticed that my bees prefer "premier" foundation obtained from my local supplier rather than "standard" foundation from a national supplier.

YES, mine do not draw foundation from a big supplier very well but prefer either ~KBS of hastings or park bees of blackheath , even drawing one on the very edge in preference to one next to broob

could just be the depth of pattern

Oh - how long can you safely keep foundation then?
Has been stored in a cool garage.

I don't believe it goes off but it does go harder with age.

Does warming with a hair dryer resolve this?

I have bees at this time drawing out foundation that must be 10 years old if it is a day.

Supplied by KBS.

PH

I have bees at this time drawing out foundation that must be 10 years old if it is a day.

Supplied by KBS.

PH

PH,
how do you store this foundation to keep it fresh? as i buy from KBS also, but notice they dont seal the bags.

if you have had it stored for a while do you warm with hair dryer?

they dont seal the bags

Seal them yourself! Folded and stapled, or taped. Simples.

Regards, RAB

how long have KBS had them in UNsealed bags?

Fairly irrelevant, in the context of Poly Hive's post, methinks!

Regards, RAB

Hi

Have tried both and can honestly say have not noticed any difference in how they draw it out.

Mind you in the country we are used to roughing it and making do and guess the bees are the same!

As Thornes are the only firm I have used for foundation I can only comment on their two grades.

My bees prefer the premier over the standard. The standard generally gets some bizarre comb building done on it and I will not be buying again. I bet I have got at least a pound of wax this year because of this.

Baggy

As Thornes are the only firm I have used for foundation I can only comment on their two grades.

My bees prefer the premier over the standard. The standard generally gets some bizarre comb building done on it and I will not be buying again. I bet I have got at least a pound of wax this year because of this.

Baggy

Agree - they only had standard foundation on one visit to Windsor so had to use this ( had run out!). Bees clearly not impressed- they seemed to prefer chewing holes in it to drawing it out. Have ordered from KBS now so will see how I get on with that.

Latest posts

Back