Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

The other day as a bit of an emergency I had to get Thorns standard foundation due to availability from my preferred choice. This is the first time I have bought the standard foundation from Thorns I have bought plenty of their premier foundation in the past and more recently from KBS.
KBS produces a quality product and it is obvious as to why they are highly recommended.
However I have to say that the Thorns standard foundation is nasty horrible and smells like a rotten ash tray.

A few years ago I bought some standard foundation from Thornes. It was a very mixed batch of packs; some packs appeared quite old, some a violent orange colour and some that didn't even fit the frames (their frames) without trimming first! I now look at each pack and decide if it is good enough before I part with cash. Unfortunately, life is too short to produce my own. I agree with you that KBS produce very superior wax with a lovely waxy perfume.

If anyone is interested I posted a while back about Thornes foundation HERE

"Standard foundation:

This is a mixture of Beeswax from several sources."

And I understand one of the country's to be China

Being new to this I purchased Thornes Premium for both brood and supers. Have had to trim every sheet when assembling frames. Some sheets 5mm over size width ways. Will certainly be looking to use the Kemble version once thus lot is used up.

My take on foundation. My personal experience and my opinions here.

I have always, until this year, bought from Th*rne.

I have never experienced any foundation of incorrect dimensions in their product.

This year a 'not small' order went to K*S. It was an order for more than one individual.

It was not delivered late December/early January 'because of the temperature' - fair enough.

I discerned no difference between the received material than some left from my previous supply (same thickness, similar colour, but different packaging -Th*rne has always been in sealed plastic bags, this was in open plastic bags). I was surprised that I noted no difference and actually made an enquiry by phone to K*S, after all the glowing references from this site. I was told then that there had been a 'bearing failure' in his machine and different rollers were in use but would back to the normal rollers shortly'.

I am a cynical B and drew my own interim inferences. I may later confirm or question the information, so far stored in my notes.

This was the first time ever that I have needed to trim any foundation. That said it was not a great deal, only a couple so far, and I did not check any dimensions. I was using 'Th*rne seconds' frames so the small difference could have been the frames, so any difference has not been checked out as frames or foundation (just not worth the bother at the time).

Dimensions, as I see it, are likely to be too large if very warm foundation has been stacked too high, or possibly the carrier has compressed the order by stacking heavy items on the boxes for a few days! My storage of foundation is about 5 packs high along a 'shelf' near to the ceiling in the hall. Never gets too hot, .

So, there you are folks, my experience of just two suppliers over a ten year period. I may comment further if I find anything relevent. Until then, as they say watch this space! Any comments you may have on the above would be appreciated - you can pm me in confidence.

Regards, RAB

I have also used Th.....'s foundation for a similar no. of years to Rab and this year is also the first year I've had to trim it. Only perhaps 3mm. Don't think it's the frames.Didn't think much about it, assumed it was me!
Have no other supplier to compare with.
:confused:Cazza

I never bought foundation from Thornes as I didn't take to the local agent.

Hence I bought from Steele and Brodie, until I was gently steered towards Kemble and have never looked back.

I just took delivery of over £300 worth and as ever it arrived perfectly packaged.

Yes the packets are open but always have been and so far to my knowledge make not a whit of difference.

PH

I think the open packets from KBS is a good thing they can be stored and reused for other things a big help with the 3rs

Another good point with KBS as I was a new customer to them and my order was a few hundred pounds they shipped the order on receipt of the cheque got the order within 4 days that impressed me as they trusted me.

The roller bearings were a problem late last summer,quite a delay with foundation as this bearing problem was a bit more involved by the sounds of it.
After some temporary fix the foundation did have some lines in it, which the previous batches did not have.
I found the bee's seem to prefer the KBS foundation,which is much cleaner in colour and has a much more attractive aroma,well to me anyway.
Have bought several thousand sheets again this year and have never needed to cut or resize any sheets yet.

i have found that £hornes second's frames shrank more than a batch of five year old normal frames, and i have to cut about 3mm off KBS foundation but inthe older normal frames the foundation fits ok

Last edited:
PH,

I was not being judgemental in any way, by describing the different packaging.

The proof of the pudding is yet to come, as mostly it has not yet been eaten!

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
In my ten years plus of I have only ever used thornes as we have a local agent and its convienient, but having been recommended KBS by forum members and as my hive count is now 20 plus and predominantly 14x12 I have ordered all three sizes 14x12, and National brood and super foundation and in considerable quantity. The bees go straight to it and draw it beautifully unlike the previous suppliers when they chewed the bottom and up the side away from the frame leaving a top-bar effect and on 14x12 that means carefull handling. I showed some foundation to course participants the other day and they all without fail commented that the KBS was a natural colour and smell and in their words the Thornes smelled chemically and looked grey. I have also been trimming my thornes by how much I do not know, I just trim it and fit it, the KBS drops straight into thornes seconds frames both new and re-foudationing used frames, needless to say I will be buying from KBS from now on and can recommend highly. Please note these are my own and course participants observations and experiences, but we all use what works best and is least trouble to fit.
kev

Last edited:
Purchased a large amount of KBS foundation in the winter and keep in the house in a sealed container. When this is opened, it smell fills the house and is very pleasing to walk into.

I also have another box of mixed Thornes that is stored in the same manner. when this is opened, there is very little noticeable aroma and I have also found the wax brittle.

Both Thornes and KBS I have had to trim and on both of them this was due to inconsistencies in dimensions, they either fitted or were oversize by 1-2mm.

The bees do not seem to care which foundation I use.

The worst foundation I have had was from Maisemore. It was brittle, dark and didn't smell nice... looked to me like ropey wax... Bees didn't like it as much either.

I do wonder how much wax is imported too??

Athough i also prefer the quality of KBS foundation,the price is also very good,ten sheet rate from Thornes, BS wired brood £9.26 same thing from KBS £7.55,plus 20% discount off this price on order of £300, wax enchange rate is better from Thornes though.

Last edited:
Back