Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Forgive the newbie question, but if you dont ask you never know!

Why do people buy foundation?

If you were to melt some beeswax and form into a thin sheet, i know it wouldnt have the pattern on it, but surely the bees arent that reliant on the pattern to help them to start drawing it out?

If it were properly setup you could even include wire into as well.

I started making my own frames today and got pondering on this question, apart from a pound saving, its nice to have your complete setup made by yourself.

If you were to melt some beeswax and form into a thin sheet, i know it wouldnt have the pattern on it, but surely the bees arent that reliant on the pattern to help them to start drawing it out?

Yeah, I think smooth, non-embossed foundation would work fine.

But, I don't know about you, I got a life. And swirling around molten wax in a forming tray no doubt loses its appeal after the first couple of goes.

See the book 'Constructive Beekeeping', by Norman Chapman, if you ain't got a life and maybe want a go at forming some wax sheets.

or "go natural" and let them build what they want themselves..........
Buy? Foundation? how "last century":)

I suppose theoretically it would be OK for me with just two hives to make my own foundation - but even I shrink at the thought of doing say 120 sheets (call me optimistic, but I would like to think I'll need lots of supers this summer!). And why spend time doing that when you could be sitting watching your bees anyway?

But what about those with 20 or 40 hives???

Latest posts

Back