Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugfan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hey

Where do you buy your foundation?

The cheapest I can find is £7.03 for a pack of 10, wired, for a national broodbox.

Cheaper stuff must be available somewhere??

Thanks

I get from KBS (Kemble bee supplies)
think its dearer than the price you quote but the quality makes it worth while IMO.

I am a canny Scot and I have near all my beekeeeping ttime bought from KBS.

It is better, the bees prefer it and stuff the cost it is just better.

Foundation is one issue where you will buy cheap and live to regret it.

Peter Kemble is your man.

PH

Is there a way to recognise the foundation. Seemed no different than thorny stuff. Same weight, same colour, same visually; thus far, I am wondering whether it was supplied from them.

Regards, RAB

I get from KBS (Kemble bee supplies)
think its dearer than the price you quote but the quality makes it worth while IMO.

agree, good quality that the Bees like, had some last year that i bought elswhere ( from near the thames :)) and the bees would not draw it...gone brittle

Is there a way to recognise the foundation. Seemed no different than thorny stuff. Same weight, same colour, same visually; thus far, I am wondering whether it was supplied from them.

Regards, RAB

are you saying is was KBS you bought or foundation from another supllier..pm if you want a sheet of kbs super to compare

Hi Rab

Are you suggesting in your post that Thornes supply KBS(peter)?

Regards Ian

Yes (kbs) Peter does manufacture it,was out of action for a while last season,problems with fitting new bearings to foundation rollers.
KBS was also the first to do the wax exchange for foundation,before some others even thought of it.
I have bought lots of foundation from both Thornes and KBS,definate preference by the bee's for the KBS fondation,plus a lot of difference in colour last season.
KBS is also much cheaper,Thornes ten sheet rate for wired brood £9.26, KBS for the same £7.55

Last edited:
The wall depth (height if you like) is deeper with KBS and the bees take to it with no messing about.

Once I found the difference I never went back to any other supplier which I can safely state was Steele and Brodie as they are now no longer. As far as I was concerned the other stuff was third choice.

PH

Thanks everyone

I will check out KBS if you think the bees will be happier

Latest posts

Back