Foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh yes, but they might build some drone comb, or some other size that is not the 'standard'. Wouldn't, couldn't be right. Bees cannot know best, after all... or can they?

I daresay they will draw it, possibly not quite so evenly as embossed foundation. They can manage with nothing to start with so ought to be able to cope with a plain sheet.

I intend to try some this year. It is just that 14 x 12 needs wiring carefully. Although I am going to try unwired in that size as well, just for a trial.

Regards, RAB

So you'll be the fellah doing the juggling with a soft comb in mid-summer RAB. Resist the temptation to deviate the frame from the vertical when inspecting on a hot sunny day. :) There is a lot of weight in a full comb of brood and food.

Good luck with your trial.

Hombre,

I know. But the TBH mob do OK without side and bottom bars and the unwired is cheaper (as I intend to change foundation more regularly) so I will find if it is cost effective! I have the experience and confidence not to let it all fall out - and if you drop a wired frame it suffers exactly the same, so nothing new.

Brood nest needs to be the same temperature, so a really full frame of comb will be the same temperature in spring as on a cool, or hot, summer day. If it is not a viable proposition, the suppliers are supplying items 'not fit for purpose'? I don't think I will be complaining. After all, there is plenty of space in the Dartingtons, which is where they will be going, at least initially.

Regards, RAB

I tried just flat unembossed wax in a frame-the bees chewed holes in it and also drew out some beautiful drone comb.Why not just try 1 inch wide "starter" strips of brood comb .The bees will draw it down beautifully.I would'nt use unwired comb in the brood box but starter strips in the super are great for cut comb.

Tried full sheets of unwired foundation in BS national brood frames,some were okay, but most bowed very badly about 2/3 of the way down,so badly the frames could not be placed in any other position in the box's.

Thanks for that relay of experience, Hivemaker. Mine, I am expecting, will be drawn (mostly) on OSR and may finish with some OSR honey in situ as part of the rush to get them drawn. Depends on how things pan out once the spring arrives. Lots of ifs and buts and I expect I will just have to go with the flow....

I will be trying a few quirky things with a colony or two on the rape, while the Dartingtons can stay at home, for any needed increase. Quirky? like tangentially extracting OSR from 14 x12s with no wiring, possibly!

All good fun and more info into the experience bank. Often a case of what not to do again.

Regards, RAB

Stand by for explosive extracting of unwired rape honey especially if some of it is set.Hope you'e got some good strainers.

John,

Stand by for explosive extracting

Why? I did say tangentially. I am not that stupid as to try it on a radial machine! (frames won't fit anyway). Or do you have experience of this?

I would not want unwired supers being extracted radially either.

Regards, RAB

Weak frames, whether wired or not will blow when extracted tangentially, even in a swing basket machine such as I have.

ESP if there is granulated honey in the equation.

Be warned.

PH

Poly Hive,

Is that any frame or just Hoffman that is susceptible?

I may need to change my spacing arrangements? Not too keen on that, but it is not the end of the world for an experiment.

Regards, RAB

Any. Trust me on this one. Brood/super, Hoffman of Manley, out of balance iwth granulated patches and bang one gone frame.

I used to wire my super frames and have wired foundation for heather and still would lose a proportion.

PH

I found out the hard way .I now use a radial (9 frame) radial but have exploded frames on an old tangential in the past.The wax splits from top to bottom of the frame-makes quite a mess.

Latest posts

Back