Foundation in Super frames.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All. Its my intention over the winter months to make new supers and frames for my national hives. When making the frames is it best not to mount the foundation until one is ready to put the super on the hive.
Regards
Liam C

I leave the foundation out of the frame until nearer the time that it is going on the hive.

ditto above

Once you put the foundation in you are exposing it to Wax moth, also it "goes off" over time after exposure to air

ditto above

also it "goes off" over time after exposure to air

You can rejuvenate "off" foundation with a hairdryer. More importantly foundation left long term unused in frames can buckle so you have to take it out, flatten it and replace.
At least that's what happened to two brood boxes I had set up to AS two hives that never made any swarm preps in the end.

More importantly foundation left long term unused in frames can buckle so you have to take it out, flatten it and replace.

The wire prevents the wax expanding and contracting causing it to buckle.

No need to remove it as two pieces of timber pressed together trapping the foundation will help flatten it.

You avoid all this faffing around if you leave putting in the foundation until needed!

Waxmoth don't bother foundation.

I have used 12 month old frames with foundation in, and they were fine.

I would expect the bees to chew it out if they don't like it...

Best tip on here so far was give it a warm up before you use it. Very quick waft of a blowtorch .

Waxmoth don't bother foundation.

I have used 12 month old frames with foundation in, and they were fine.

I would expect the bees to chew it out if they don't like it...

Best tip on here so far was give it a warm up before you use it. Very quick waft of a blowtorch .

Oow, careful, I thought that too, took out an undrawn frame of foundation, left it for a few weeks, then removed to store; there were tiny little wax moth trails around the edges and wax moth larvae underneath the bottom bars and top wedge.

that's a tbh, what on earth next Tom.....solid floors?

No not a TBH although a good hive in its own right but simply foundationless frames in a framed hive to me far more interesting than foundation and would love to show you through one day as I think you would be interested. Caroline Washington was rather impressed this year I think the first time she has seen any and there was me thinking she would be negative.

Have we met Richard, do you keep your bees in a bee shed? If so I think we have met as I may have supplied you with some nuc’s a few years ago and I know you are pulling my leg over the solid floors.

Tom,do you have a whole box without foundation or do you put some in to get the comb the bees are making straight ? I'd like to have a go myself

Tom,do you have a whole box without foundation or do you put some in to get the comb the bees are making straight ? I'd like to have a go myself

The whole box without foundation just a starter strip say 20mm long. A triangular piece of wood works well along the underside of the top rail with a bit of wax rubbed on the point but this requires more timber and I have some foundation to use up. If you want reassurance you can put one frame of foundation or a drawn comb to start things off straight but don’t be surprised if the bees at first ignore the foundation

You will have to wire the frames with some wire or as I found out this year the bees rather like a strong fishing line they are more inclined to incorporate it into the wax and sometimes go around the wire.

If you have frames with foundation ready to go you can simply cut away the wax as I did after been given some frames this year and it gave the bees something to think about.

You will see some of my frames are homemade but the principle still applies to regular frames. Go for it I know you will be interested and way more interesting than foundation just fascinating to watch them build comb and arrange the brood nest.

Its not without its problems but then thats beekeeping and you will perhaps have to think in a slightly different way to some of the teaching but very rewarding.

You avoid all this faffing around if you leave putting in the foundation until needed!

i make them up but don't nail the last bottom bar (the loose wedge side) until i put the foundation in....normally desperately putting it in at 1:00in the morning as the bees have run out of space and HWMBO telling me off fr all the banging

Thanks for the interesting pics, Tom. The proof will be in the pudding....i.e. will you be able to lift them out vertically after the bees have built comb to their own design.
r

Latest posts

Back