Foundation Club?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Some years ago when I was on a bigger scale I used to phone round some friends and acquaintances and we would pool our foundation order to get the best discount from KBS

I wonder if we could do something similar on here but by region for ease of collection?

Everyone saves.

PH

Hi PH, Being a new bee please excuse if I've got the wrong end of the stick.
Our local Thornes agent offers "foundation available at a straight exchange for wax. No money need be paid" not sure if this is weight for weight or good/bad?

There is a cost to that. However it is one option instead of paying the full amount. However it does tie you in to Thornes foundation which is not a brand I am keen on.

PH

Russel,

Pardon me for this, but you for one will not exactly have a great deal of wax for exchange? Or is your profile incorrect?

AND, Th*rne are giving nothing away. They obviously make money on exchanged wax, or they wouldn't do it! They rely on beeks taking the esay option.

Regards, RAB

Hi RAB, Profile correct unfortunately no bees till next season.
That was taken from an ad in our BKA's latest newsletter.
I asked to be excused if I'd got it wrong and was unsure if it was good/bad expecting those more knowledgeable to put me on the right path regards this practice.
Thanks point taken Russ.

PH we did that last year. I think it simply needs over 400 quid for the discount and free delivery.

Lower discount but delivery cost on top, may not be so economical.

So an area needs to be worth more than 400 quid for maximum benefit, is the way I see it.

Regards, RAB

I was thinking that if we pooled the whole order but asked for it to be shipped to several addresses that would work.

I will phone Peter tomorrow and ask. I mean potentially we are looking at thousands of pounds here.

PH

Sounds a really good idea for those with a few to get in - indeed need it stop at foundation?

Just been looking at my frame/foundation needs for next season (not great unfortunately for any bulk order). On q - I've still got about 40 sheets of Thornes SN bought earlier in the year - two packets have been opend though re-wrapped. Does this stuff lose its appeal to bees over time, and do I need to ditch it?

It will be fine and if you are in any doubt waft a hair dryer over it as you get ready to offer it to the bees, and it will be refreshed.

For goodness sake dinna chuck it out... it is good to go.

Even if you only want a few sheets then consider getting on board as "mony a mickle maks a muckle!" Or many wee bits build up to a huge bit!

PH

Hi RAB, Profile correct unfortunately no bees till next season.
That was taken from an ad in our BKA's latest newsletter.
I asked to be excused if I'd got it wrong and was unsure if it was good/bad expecting those more knowledgeable to put me on the right path regards this practice.
Thanks point taken Russ.

Russell, if you go to the april Stoneleigh event you see KBS and £hornes vans parked outside and bee-keepers exchange wax blocks, but even with five hives i have never had enough wax to consider it worth while

so like me you are going to buy your foundation retail ( or through a wax club if PH's idea works)

if you are getting a nuc in spring you will need initally 6 brood frames ( with the five already in the nuc this makes 11) but they come in packs of ten, so dont like most beginer do make all ten up at once, because with one hive you can keep 4 frames for the following years foundation renewal ( change at least 3 or 4 frames for fresh foundation each year)

buy two packs of super foundation as well, you might get some honey first year or at least get a few super frames drawn out but again make up only one super at a time, i advise beginers to practice on a couple of super frames first before tackling brood or 14x12 frames

Last edited:
My minor mickle (or is it the muckle?) should there be sufficient interest in my area would be 30x 14x12s and 10 Supers.

BTW, very handy vernacular - reminded me that I'd left some kippers on the hob!

I'd be interested if there were others in the South West who wanted to play the game...I'll be kitting out a new 14x12 WBC BB, starting a new National (hopefully)...and looking to start/buy a new nuc...so yes...INTERESTED! :)

Last edited:
There is a cost to that. However it is one option instead of paying the full amount. However it does tie you in to Thornes foundation which is not a brand I am keen on.

PH

Would I be right in thinking this is down to the wiring? And if so, who's would you prefer? Whether I buy through the wax club or not, I hope to be setting up 2 new 14 x 12's next year, and I want to use wired foundation, but it would be nice to not get the 'magic W'

Mons a,I have used wax foundation over 10 years old a few years ago without problems.
If it has to much white bloom just run a hair dryer across it on a low setting to get a bit of smell from it.

Blackbird did a list of regional equipment and bee suppliers could that be incorporated?

Russell, if you go to the april Stoneleigh event you see KBS and £hornes vans parked outside and bee-keepers exchange wax blocks, but even with five hives i have never had enough wax to consider it worth while

so like me you are going to buy your foundation retail ( or through a wax club if PH's idea works)

if you are getting a nuc in spring you will need initally 6 brood frames ( with the five already in the nuc this makes 11) but they come in packs of ten, so dont like most beginer do make all ten up at once, because with one hive you can keep 4 frames for the following years foundation renewal ( change at least 3 or 4 frames for fresh foundation each year)

buy two packs of super foundation as well, you might get some honey first year or at least get a few super frames drawn out but again make up only one super at a time, i advise beginers to practice on a couple of super frames first before tackling brood or 14x12 frames

Thanks MM

Nothing to do with the wiring and all to do with cell wall depth and quality of wax. Which is why I have stuck with Peter Kemble for over 20 years, and not yet been disappointed.

PH

Back