Found in floor rubbish

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I thought I would have a look and see how many Varroa I could count in a lot of rubbish off a floor, this is what I came across;

Anyone any idea as to what it might bee?

I think the magnification was on x400 in the lower photo there are 2 varroa showing. I will now publish all shots of this maggot.

Looks like one of those aliens from that old film Quatermass.

It looks like the larvae of those skinny beetles you find eating the muck on the floor

Hi guys
I do not think its wax moth as I do not have any uncapped brood and also this little lava is a quarter of the size of a wax moth larva. I have asked NBU for a recognition of this as they have contacts throughout Fera.

I have checked it with my sample of SHB larva and there again its very much smaller. Have to wait now for a reply.:redface:

Regards;

Thanks for the update Bcrazy....

I just noticed - you 1000th post! Congratulations! I believe that forum etiquette demands that you wish Frisbee Happy Birthday...

I just noticed - you 1000th post! Congratulations! I believe that forum etiquette demands that you wish Frisbee Happy Birthday...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRISBEE (twenty one again? that makes you a year older than me ) Ha HA HA

Last edited:
Just had a reply fromthe NBU they would like the specimin if possible to make a better guess. So I'll pop it in the post tomorrow for them. Will keep you informed.

Hey Polyanwood
It looks like the larvae of those skinny beetles you find eating the muck on the floor
What beetles are you refering to?

Well I had a shock when I saw them... but they are not tropaelaelaps or however you spell it...... they are slim and their larvae are thinner than wax moth too. If I find any more I'll send you one if you like, becuase it would be good to have a postive ID.

Yes please send one to me for comparisons and if you can find the beetle send that also.
Thank you

Latest posts

Back