Found a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill_J

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Second year having bees so looking for some advice regarding a nearby swarm. I did a split (artifical swarm) in May this year and all seemed to go well. However, in July the number of bees in one half of the split seemed to deteriorate slightly. I put this down to a new queen taking her time getting into her stride. I left them to it and, sure enough, they did OK and brought in plenty of stores. I didnt take any honey from them, treated for mites and secured their hive for the winter. All good.

Moving forward to yesterday - I was cutting back some overgrown shrubs around an old out building (derelict cottage, now cattle shed) in a neighbouring field (200 metres from my hives) and became aware of a bunch of bees around my face. I noticed them entering and exiting from a hole in the brickwork, where a old window had been bricked up and presumably there's a cavity inside. I put on my suit and had a closer look. Sure enough, through the hole I can see wild comb. Now, the most likely scenario is that a cast from my artificial swarm has made a new home here I assume? The question I have is when would be the best time to retrieve the swarm? The old building where they've taken residence is unused and they are doing no harm. Should I leave them to over-winter where they are and collect them next Spring? Or should I act now? I can see risks with both methods...what do the more experienced beekeepers on here think?

Second year having bees so looking for some advice regarding a nearby swarm. I did a split (artifical swarm) in May this year and all seemed to go well. However, in July the number of bees in one half of the split seemed to deteriorate slightly. I put this down to a new queen taking her time getting into her stride. I left them to it and, sure enough, they did OK and brought in plenty of stores. I didnt take any honey from them, treated for mites and secured their hive for the winter. All good.

Moving forward to yesterday - I was cutting back some overgrown shrubs around an old out building (derelict cottage, now cattle shed) in a neighbouring field (200 metres from my hives) and became aware of a bunch of bees around my face. I noticed them entering and exiting from a hole in the brickwork, where a old window had been bricked up and presumably there's a cavity inside. I put on my suit and had a closer look. Sure enough, through the hole I can see wild comb. Now, the most likely scenario is that a cast from my artificial swarm has made a new home here I assume? The question I have is when would be the best time to retrieve the swarm? The old building where they've taken residence is unused and they are doing no harm. Should I leave them to over-winter where they are and collect them next Spring? Or should I act now? I can see risks with both methods...what do the more experienced beekeepers on here think?
I should leave them alone ! You know where they are .
They’ll be stocking up on Ivy and sheltered stands of Balsam .
Spring time is the better time , if at all !

Let alone till next April / May
Cut them out on a nice warm day and once in a box fit a QX and leave for a couple of days to settle in... feed them.
Move them 3 miles away on a fine evening once all bees are home and roosted, leave for a few weeks, check them over for disease and then return them to your apiary.
Chons da

Probably best first to get the land owners permission unless of course it is your property.

You might want to think about improving their situation in situ. Could their weather-proofing be improved to protect them over winter, without disturbing them? Some insulation on the inside or outside or both, possibly.

CVB

Latest posts

Back