Forum Poll

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about the forum ?

• I come here regularly and contribute to threads

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I only come here occasionally

Votes: 34 14.9%
  • I read posts but I don't usually contribute to threads

Votes: 135 59.2%
  • I find the forum helpful and informative

Votes: 171 75.0%
  • I think the forum is a friendly and welcoming place

Votes: 72 31.6%
  • I feel the forum could be more friendly and welcoming

Votes: 61 26.8%
  • I think the forum is OK as it is now

Votes: 103 45.2%
  • I think the forum could be improved

Votes: 26 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to moderate a forum surely?
Two of the moderators are amongst the most frequent postershere, and I suspect that that status predates their elevation to "holy-orders". I hope I'm right in my assumption that you all know something about bees. :)
The ideal attributes for an effective and respected moderator are obviously nothing to do with beekeeping. It might be thought by some people that knowing when to keep out of the way is a useful skill. So thumbs-up to you @Swarm ;)

Two of the moderators are amongst the most frequent postershere, and I suspect that that status predates their elevation to "holy-orders". I hope I'm right in my assumption that you all know something about bees. :)
The ideal attributes for an effective and respected moderator are obviously nothing to do with beekeeping. It might be thought by some people that knowing when to keep out of the way is a useful skill. So thumbs-up to you @Swarm ;)
No .. you are wrong ... Dani was appointed by the previous owner Mark when Hivemaker, who was the previous moderator since the foum started, felt it was time to take a break - as some forum members will know he had developed a serious illness and sadly died. I think Dani already had the respect of the forum as a beekeeper with skills and had demonstrated a level headed approach to the forum over many years. She was a natural successor to Hivemaker and I think the new owners recognised the asset she was/is to the forum and maintained her Moderator status.

Swarm and I were asked by the Forum admin if we would become mods to help out Dani as the forum is a busy one and too much for one moderator. I don't know the criteria that were applied but I don't think it has anything to do with numbers of posts, any 'hierarchy' or in my case, at least, any high degree of beekeeping knowledge - I've said many times I don't consider myself a 'proper beekeeper'. I would hope that admin saw something in Swarm's and my posts that suggested we would be suitable candates to become moderators.

It's not a great job at times ... if anyone feels they would like a go and have the time and the inclination then I'd happily stand down and let someone else sit on the tiller ... there's no pay and at times it's like herding cats but, if you want a go, feel free to pass your application to the Forum Admin.

Philip is right. Mark asked me to help out just before the forum changed hands. I did offer to stand down if the new owners were putting their own moderators in place but I think they felt that some knowledge of beekeeping was necessary (in my case actually very little) so I stayed and was given some extra admin powers. I was helped out by @Steve_D for a while but his beekeeping business took precedence and he retired. Pargyle and swarm were my suggestion and were invited to be moderators. Yes we are not perfect and sometimes my heart rules my head......but the forum poll seems to suggest that the people who have bothered to vote largely feel that the forum is OK

No .. you are wrong ... Dani was appointed by the previous owner Mark when Hivemaker, who was the previous moderator since the foum started, felt it was time to take a break - as some forum members will know he had developed a serious illness and sadly died. I think Dani already had the respect of the forum as a beekeeper with skills and had demonstrated a level headed approach to the forum over many years. She was a natural successor to Hivemaker and I think the new owners recognised the asset she was/is to the forum and maintained her Moderator status.

Swarm and I were asked by the Forum admin if we would become mods to help out Dani as the forum is a busy one and too much for one moderator. I don't know the criteria that were applied but I don't think it has anything to do with numbers of posts, any 'hierarchy' or in my case, at least, any high degree of beekeeping knowledge - I've said many times I don't consider myself a 'proper beekeeper'. I would hope that admin saw something in Swarm's and my posts that suggested we would be suitable candates to become moderators.

It's not a great job at times ... if anyone feels they would like a go and have the time and the inclination then I'd happily stand down and let someone else sit on the tiller ... there's no pay and at times it's like herding cats but, if you want a go, feel free to pass your application to the Forum Admin.
I'm not linking the attribute of being amongst the most frequent posters with suitability to be a moderator; but that you are amongst the most frequent posters just happens to be a fact on which I'm not wrong.
Good on you all for your tireless, voluntary work. I am not questioning the appropriateness of any of you being in the role.
What I am implying is that the moderators' views can carry more clout by virtue of the fact that conversation is also policed by them.
There have been times when, had I been a moderator, I would have moderated a moderator!
Whilst writing this I note that Dani acknowledges that sometimes the "heart rules the head", and I respect that response.

Yes the search function has always been bad. It throws up huge numbers of alternatives. It needs some sort of smart function but I suspect that is beyond the forum software
Sometimes it's better to get Google to search. Type Beekeeping Forum and then your key words into Google. I do this for lots of sites where the search facility is substandard (eg the BBC) because they know that Google is already there doing a better job than they could ever pay for.

Knowledge is gained by reading a range of books (unless you read Yates study notes that are so incorrect it's astounding) and by experience not by passing exams.
I know someone who spent a pretty short time cramming and passing all the exams/modules even the 'master' beekeeper.
I read a lot (really), and I study BBKA Module courses (though after sitting a couple of them, I realise that exams are not a sensible way for me to spend my time). I like the group study experience, and the course structure is useful - even just to have fun criticising the shortcomings of the syllabus. Lots of things wouldn't happen in life without exams at the end of road. But it can be a terrible mistake to make the exams the end in themselves. Like working through all the music exam grades to learn to play the piano and then not having a note to play after passing grade 8. We have to remember an exam syllabus is not a curriculum!

I've been keeping bees for a few years, and have quite a lot of hives in my care. But I don't think I'll ever be able to think of myself as anything other than a 'relatively new beekeeper'.

Phew, always late to the party, but I made it to the end before the poll closed. I wrote a few weeks ago about people new to the forum particularly, being offended by curt replies. Even though I said that a particular thread 'was one of many examples of the Forum working well', I regrettably gave a completely unintended impression as seen in the replies. Still, some of the posts in this thread do seem to confirm that some people are offended by the tone of some replies.

I am hugely appreciative of this forum, and take every opportunity in my BKA newsletter to pass on useful info and opinion. (I have asked about doing this and always credit the source and include a link.) I was amused to read this from Boston Bees: 'Individual beekeepers - especially those in their first 10-15 years of beekeeping - change their minds over how to keep bees about once every 3 years, and each time it is with the fervour of the newly converted.' Now in my 5th year, this is happening to me. However, along with the fervour of the newly converted goes a feeling that I'll never really feel that I KNOW anything for sure, or have any authority. Which is why I'm grateful for the wisdom and experience shared so generously here.

PS I still haven't found where stickies are or how they work.

I was contemplating taking "Module 6" earlier this year, but fairly early on came to the conclusion that it's really not organised in a way that would leave me feeling comfortable that I stood a good chance of being able to answer whatever came up in the exam. Some might argue that it's not really organised at all.

I did however find it a useful source for books to consider reading (some of which I have now read) and other information. It's just a shame the books cost so much :(

James
James this is a good new publication, 34 pages (A4 size) - I bought it recently at the BBKA spring convention (also available to buy online via their shop). It covers some of Mod 6, think it cost £8 and has lots of interesting stuff on honeybee behaviour. I’ve taken a photo of the index for you

Attachments

• 92955B7C-59D0-4906-8F47-A24001C273B3.jpeg
    92955B7C-59D0-4906-8F47-A24001C273B3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 61306D7A-89DD-486E-A113-3674B696425E.jpeg
    61306D7A-89DD-486E-A113-3674B696425E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
That's interesting. Is it a collection of relevant articles that have appeared in BBKA News over the years? I recognise at least some of the authors' names.

I have Celia Davis's "Honey Bee Inside Out" and "Honey Bee Around & About" and they are interesting reads (at least in my view), but I think they were about £50 for the pair :(

James

Some have been published in the past and some are new but doesn’t give specifics. Saves hunting through old copies. Their ones on queen rearing and honey are also v good.

Bump ... last chance to get your votes in and any more (relevant) comments ... we will leave it open until Sunday evening and then close it. I think it's largely run its course and the numbers seem to be levelling out about where they are now.

Well I have to say my bit.

I joined this forum as a complete noob. I had no bee keeping experience and a box of bees in the garden.

Unfortunately after 3 very successful seasons the kids took garden priority, so the bees had to go - for now.

But background aside, I dont think anyone was ever particularly blunt with me or rude to me. I often use another non-bee related forum and compared to that place this is heaven. I asked a lot of questions here when I started. And I always got answers, I was never told, "that has been asked before - go look it up". I was discussing something with a noob on the other forum, and had the thread closed by mods as the subject had already been discussed and a verdict reached!

So maybe my view of this place is rose tinted as my other forum hang out is so bad. I wont say publicly what it is, but it is players of an obscure table top game that has been out of print for many years.

But I think this place is pretty good over all.

However I have mostly asked questions..............

Most (not all) the arguments I have witnesses here are when one person offers advice, then another disagrees with the advice given. Then it kicks off, no that's bad bee keeping etc. As a noob, it just makes you all look like a right bunch of d$^s. But dont worry, I quickly released that was not the case. With bee keeping there are many approaches and styles, so such blunt arguments/debits are going to happen. If bee keeping was simple, and there was only one super easy accepted way to do everything, there would be few arguments. But with such a complex subject matter conflict of opinion will always lead to arguments.

Asking questions is easy here, but I think you need a bit more bravery to answer them.

My other criticism of this forum is that there is what I will refer to as the, "forum accepted methodology" (FAM). Any advise given that conflicts with the FAM will be met with scorn. The FAM is good in my opinion. But there are other ways to keep bees, and I dont mean silly stuff like bottles, I mean various methods with frames and boxes. I suspect those who stray from FAM tend to be less vocal about it.

The end result being this forum will teach you one way of keeping bees, and only one way of keeping bees!

ps, Thanks again to all those who were brave enough to help me.

Well I have to say my bit.

I joined this forum as a complete noob. I had no bee keeping experience and a box of bees in the garden.

Unfortunately after 3 very successful seasons the kids took garden priority, so the bees had to go - for now.

But background aside, I dont think anyone was ever particularly blunt with me or rude to me. I often use another non-bee related forum and compared to that place this is heaven. I asked a lot of questions here when I started. And I always got answers, I was never told, "that has been asked before - go look it up". I was discussing something with a noob on the other forum, and had the thread closed by mods as the subject had already been discussed and a verdict reached!

So maybe my view of this place is rose tinted as my other forum hang out is so bad. I wont say publicly what it is, but it is players of an obscure table top game that has been out of print for many years.

But I think this place is pretty good over all.

However I have mostly asked questions..............

Most (not all) the arguments I have witnesses here are when one person offers advice, then another disagrees with the advice given. Then it kicks off, no that's bad bee keeping etc. As a noob, it just makes you all look like a right bunch of d$^s. But dont worry, I quickly released that was not the case. With bee keeping there are many approaches and styles, so such blunt arguments/debits are going to happen. If bee keeping was simple, and there was only one super easy accepted way to do everything, there would be few arguments. But with such a complex subject matter conflict of opinion will always lead to arguments.

Asking questions is easy here, but I think you need a bit more bravery to answer them.

My other criticism of this forum is that there is what I will refer to as the, "forum accepted methodology" (FAM). Any advise given that conflicts with the FAM will be met with scorn. The FAM is good in my opinion. But there are other ways to keep bees, and I dont mean silly stuff like bottles, I mean various methods with frames and boxes. I suspect those who stray from FAM tend to be less vocal about it.

The end result being this forum will teach you one way of keeping bees, and only one way of keeping bees!

ps, Thanks again to all those who were brave enough to help me.

I'd like to think the "one way" you mention is one that's been proven to work in practice for many beekeepers over a lot of seasons. Plus as understanding improves "new" practices are added and "old" harmful ones that have been inflicted on bees are discarded. (Matchsticks anyone?)

I'd like to think the "one way" you mention is one that's been proven to work in practice for many beekeepers over a lot of seasons. Plus as understanding improves "new" practices are added and "old" harmful ones that have been inflicted on bees are discarded. (Matchsticks anyone?)

There are some advantages to collectively promoting a single way, but I just feel it is a shame other viable approaches don't get a mention. I am wary to specify exactly what approaches I refer too for fear of sparking a "debate". But in light of your comment I would like to make clear that I completely agree the "one way" is good, proven to work and evolves over time.

I hope you’ll be back soon

Thanks Danni, I am a bee-kit-keeper for the time being. Life has taken me in another direction right now, so it turns out my unplanned break from bee keeping is probably for the best. But I am still kit-keeping for when the time comes.

I know I have said this before, but you were one of the key people who kindly answered many of my noob questions. You are a pillar of this forum.

I am sure I will still poke my head in from time to time when the kids have woken me up at 4am and I cannot get back to sleep. So you can still enjoy my overly long rants filled with grammar and spelling errors.

Thanks Danni, I am a bee-kit-keeper for the time being. Life has taken me in another direction right now, so it turns out my unplanned break from bee keeping is probably for the best. But I am still kit-keeping for when the time comes.

I know I have said this before, but you were one of the key people who kindly answered many of my noob questions. You are a pillar of this forum.

I am sure I will still poke my head in from time to time when the kids have woken me up at 4am and I cannot get back to sleep. So you can still enjoy my overly long rants filled with grammar and spelling errors.

Oh how sweet you are.......
Yes...hang around you can Beekeep by proxy ;)

I used to visit on a regular basis, especially when I was new to bee wrangling. I now find a lot of the questions asked, have been asked many , many time before The answers will be the same as previously posted but still be varied depending on the person posting.
I am sure many will disagree and have the forum they want, which is fine with me as my blood pressure used to go through the roof with some forum members posts. But if I was to criticise in any way, I would suggest the forum is now too sanitised and the discussions however heated they got in the past made the forum a better debating board.

I used to visit on a regular basis, especially when I was new to bee wrangling. I now find a lot of the questions asked, have been asked many , many time before The answers will be the same as previously posted but still be varied depending on the person posting.
I am sure many will disagree and have the forum they want, which is fine with me as my blood pressure used to go through the roof with some forum members posts. But if I was to criticise in any way, I would suggest the forum is now too sanitised and the discussions however heated they got in the past made the forum a better debating board.
Well I would hate this place to be simply an encyclopaedia
Personally I think some people are far too sensitive.
If I had to make the forum sterile by cutting out robust debate ( sorry but folk have to apply their own definition of this) I’d hang up my blue pencil

Pros: I find the forum very informative and useful - I have picked up a wealth of information from this forum and it is great to have a place I can come to loose myself in beekeeping. A few of the contributors have really helped me and have followed one in particular when it comes to resolving certain issues and found his ways very effective and much more decisive than speaking to my local BKA.

Cons: It can be a bit of a bear pit, blunt, direct, however you wish to word it. I have found this a bit intimidating in the past which is the primary reason why I rarely post. However, this is the real world and we are all grown ups (well mostly) so I take the criticism on the chin but simply choose not to express my opinion much.

In my opinion if a move was made to try and change my (and others) con, it would ultimately damage the forum and no doubt lead so some very experienced contributors to leave so I say overall - leave it as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back