Forum members - CAUTION!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
I used my credit card on the *Thorne's* website at 22:04 tonight. This is the first time in quite a while that I have used the card.
About 15 mins ago, I received a fraud alert from my credit card company asking if I had made some other transactions, which I hadn't.
I have used this website in the past with no problems and everything seemed to go through normally tonight. Of course, it is possible that it could be circumstantial but it is definitely suspicious that it happened about an hour and a half after making the first transaction on that card in months.

I use paypal on Thornes, but if they use a credit card processor they'll never receive your credit card details.

First thing to check is that the ‘fraud alert’ actually came from your real credit card company. Non-genuine alerts are not unknown!

I hope your computer's security system is uptodate.. Some viruses mimic what you describe.

Phone your CC phone line and speak to them. As you have not used the card for months it's quite possible that you have sparked this alert yourself. :)

PH

I have spoken with the fraud prevention department of my credit card company this morning and they decided to issue me with a new card.
I have since discovered that some software that I have on automatic renewal was also charged to the card yesterday so *Thornes* weren't the only valid transaction.
There was a transaction for £0.00 in China which tipped the fraud prevention people off so, it seems that something was amiss.
I think the lesson to be learned from this is to not use your credit card online. The idea of using PayPal seems a sensible one to me. We lead such complicated lives nowadays and these things are likely to happen from time to time.
I have spoken with Gill at *Thornes* this morning too. I really doubt it had anything to do with their website but this experience shows we have to be extra vigilant.

Added: I also use McAfee Livesafe so I doubt there was a virus

Last edited:
I would say that if making card payments online, a credit card is probably the best card to use as you are insured against fraudulent transactions. You are more likely to get your money back through a credit card than a debit card, same with other transactions such as booking flights that are cancelled.

I would say that if making card payments online, a credit card is probably the best card to use as you are insured against fraudulent transactions. You are more likely to get your money back through a credit card than a debit card, same with other transactions such as booking flights that are cancelled.

I'd agree with this.

My credit card experience last year was that someone was buying BitCoin in increasing increments, probably to see if I would notice. Thing is, it was a Halifax Clarity card I only got for going on holiday the year before. Outside that 2 weeks I didn't use it.
It seems my card was cloned at some point and they waited a while before using.
Glad it was a credit card and not debit.

The whole point of using a CC online is that you are covered. I like being covered.

PH

I used my credit card on the *Thorne's* website at 22:04 tonight. This is the first time in quite a while that I have used the card.
About 15 mins ago, I received a fraud alert from my credit card company asking if I had made some other transactions, which I hadn't.
I have used this website in the past with no problems and everything seemed to go through normally tonight. Of course, it is possible that it could be circumstantial but it is definitely suspicious that it happened about an hour and a half after making the first transaction on that card in months.

So are you content it wasn't Thornes site after speaking to Gill and ascertaining the facts? Perhaps a redaction or a change in your original post is in order if no link can be proven?

So are you content it wasn't Thornes site after speaking to Gill and ascertaining the facts? Perhaps a redaction or a change in your original post is in order if no link can be proven?

Why? Would not everyone be suspicious in those circumstances? I would.

Maybe circumstantial, but nevertheless suspicious!

the lesson to be learned from this is to not use your credit card online

And collapse the UK economy?

No. I am not content. Neither am I making any allegations. So, there is no need to rush to anyones' defence.
My post was intended as a warning to others about the dangers of using your credit card online. The fraud prevention department at my credit card company seemed concerned enough to suspend my old card and send me a new one. That should be the end of the matter.

I use PayPal for online transactions and never had an issue - touch wood - however bit coin scams are the in thing at the moment. I had an email last week that appeared genuine from a contact I have in my phone. I opened it and again all looked genuine, he was telling me to get into bit coin as it was making money so fast it was unbelievable. For just a £200 investment I could look at making over £1,000 per week lol. Knowing my contact wasn’t so thick I dug into it a bit more (using apple I'm confident about on line security) and found the scam email address.
Contacted my mate and informed him to check his security settings lol

I use PayPal for online transactions and never had an issue - touch wood - however bit coin scams are the in thing at the moment. I had an email last week that appeared genuine from a contact I have in my phone. I opened it and again all looked genuine, he was telling me to get into bit coin as it was making money so fast it was unbelievable. For just a £200 investment I could look at making over £1,000 per week lol. Knowing my contact wasn’t so thick I dug into it a bit more (using apple I'm confident about on line security) and found the scam email address.
Contacted my mate and informed him to check his security settings lol

I had my Paypal ac hacked in c 2008 and $400 stolen. Informed Payal, account suspended and money re-imbursed in a week.

Never had any issues since - and I use PP a lot.
Never had an issue with credit card fraud/theft.. (Norton Security)

There are dangers with anything. My wife's card was cloned some years ago and the last usage was at Ikea. We discovered the problem at the Duty Free Heathrow on our honeymoon. Yep brill.

The point though is that it was discovered and the system works to protect you and the bank. I have been using my CC on line for 21 years now and will continue to do so as I am protected.

PH

I would say using a credit card online is just the thing to use. They normally notice fraud surprisingly quickly and you will get your money back if used.

You can never be too cautious

I ordered some fence panel accessories from First Fence Ltd yesterday and paid through PayPal. I had the receipt email from PayPal but nothing from the company. I wanted the items urgently so paid for next day delivery.
As I hadn’t heard anything, I phoned First Fence this morning and was told they don’t have an account or accept PayPal!
It would appear their website has been compromised and some scum bags are creaming off orders. I called PayPal and they are pursuing it and have said that I will definitely get my money back.
If I hadn’t needed the goods urgently, it could have been days before I realised.
S

Cards get skimmed and then the data is sold in bulk on the dark web. The buyer then uses small or zero value transactions to verify the card is valid then ramp up very fast for the big value fraud.

I've never had a hit from an online transaction but I've been skimmed twice, once in a bar in Dublin and the second time at a taco restaurant at Logan airport in Boston, both times the card company spotted it quickly, blocked the card and refunding all fraudulent transactions.

Maybe it would have been wise to have contacted your credit card company to get answers before making this thread.

Back